Cyclingnews going down the crapper

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2009 in Pro race
OK, the title may be a bit harsh, but I do think Cyclingnews is getting worse. One of the things I used to like about Cyclingnews was how it featured all the news and from all the races. No other site could even come close in terms of comprehensive race coverage.

So I just thought I'd go and check some of the other race results from today, because believe it or not, there are other races in July.

Stage 4 of the Sachsen Tour? Nah, not up yet. Stage 1 of the Tour de Wallonie? Nah, not up yet. Result of the Clasica de Ordizia? Nah, not up yet.

Granted, I know it's a busy time covering the Tour, and I know only nerds like me are interested in the result of the frickin' Clasica de Ordizia, but how hard is it to copy and paste the results onto a new page and click publish? I don't want in depth reports, just results!

Also, put a link to the calendar on the home page, FFS!

Finally, why have they made it SO hard to find past results? Unless I'm totally blind, there is absolutely no conceivable way to browse the archive of race results. Before, you clicked on to a race home-page, then you could either click "past winners" or there was a link to view the 2008 race... from there you could just click 2007 and so on, or just change the year on the URL. Now you're just forced to use the utterly useless search engine.

I haven't resorted to using Velonews... yet... but I will if Cyclingnews doesn't sort itself out!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    For Archive stuff:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/

I'm not a fan of the new set up either.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    it definitely seems as if the writing quality has got a lot worse too. :cry:
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    They have Sachsen Tour & Tour de Wallonie now, but I can't see
    http://www.euskalnet.net/pruebavillafranca/
    yet
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • Tootler
    Tootler Posts: 53
    It has become a right bag of w**k.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Run by the same bunch of well-meaning amateurs that do bikeradar I believe. BUT it's got to be tough providing info and writing etc for free. I can't imagine that advertising is bringing in much these days, and the cost of setting up and maintaining a website is more than you'd think.

Velonews.com is pretty good and they've got more dosh behind them.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    I can't be bothered to visit the site any more. I sometimes drop by the live coverage, but that's about it.

For the latest results I instead go to wieleruitslagen.be or wielerflits.nl.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    The only thing worse than CN now is their forum! Full of name calling, mud slinging keyboard warriors.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    AndyRubio wrote:
    bunch of well-meaning amateurs that do bikeradar
    That's Future plc, a company listed on the stock exchange, and worth about £60 million. OK, it ain't NewsCorp but still.

But the whole operation is a bit of a dog's breakfast at times, the forum here gets rigged with problems, the CN site is redesigned but full of missing links and more. I don't mind if hobby sites have problems like this but then they aren't trying to bombard you with advertising. You only have to listen to the Tour podcasts, plenty of useful information and insight in their but at times masked behind the staff joking with eachother, even arguing with each other.

As for CN now, it's ok but the older layout was clearer.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    For Archive stuff:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/

I'm not a fan of the new set up either.

That's the old CN site as it was at the time the new one was made live (16th June or thereabouts).
    It's no good for getting at results that were after then, and before the tour, but are old enough to have expired from the current race results list - eg try finding the results of the Boucle, or stage 6 of the Tour de Suisse
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I hate the new site, what a load of guff.
    Mañana
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I hate it too. At work it takes forever to load. It was better when it was simple now it's too fancy and I can never find what I want. The news bit was great and I used to rely on it for the 'cast' list for each race as well. Not happy with it now - seems to be change for change sake.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    wicked wrote:
    The only thing worse than CN now is their forum! Full of name calling, mud slinging keyboard warriors.

yeah not like here!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Kléber wrote:
    AndyRubio wrote:
    bunch of well-meaning amateurs that do bikeradar
    That's Future plc, a company listed on the stock exchange, and worth about £60 million. OK, it ain't NewsCorp but still.
    Sure, makes me wonder why they don't hire some good people, they can afford it.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    AndyRubio wrote:

Velonews.com is pretty good and they've got more dosh behind them.

Velonews is good at what is does, but Cyclingnews used to be better because it was different to Velonews - ie, had all the news from all the races, rather than the big headlines from the big races.
  • Kléber
    wicked wrote:

yeah not like here!
    Shut it!

Just joking. The forum here is far more civilised.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I just go to:

http://www.twitter.com/lancearmstrong

for all my cycling news and needs.

It's the only cycling site that matters.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Agree, it was better in almost everyway before. The live coverage on the tour wasn't so bad in the end, but not as good as before. Navigation is terrible, much like this forum, which is still nowhere near as good as the old CyclingPlus one.

.....and Bikley has stopped working since a bike radar logo was added.
    exercise.png
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    The problem is navigation, navigation, navigation.

I don't feel confident to comment on the content as I have not found it yet!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Kléber wrote:
    wicked wrote:

yeah not like here!
    Shut it!

Just joking. The forum here is far more civilised.

Your f$%ing full of S#@t CN forum is the greatest :wink: Besides the Armstrong Threads things are pretty civil, well most of the time. I have only visited the CN site a couple of times to get a quick peak at the GC standings on some races i hardly look at the news stuff now at all. The previous design was a bit simple and plain but thats why it worked.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • Kléber
    The previous design was a bit simple and plain but thats why it worked.
    I agree. Either they go down the "magazine" route and put loads of content online or they stick to simple new items. The current method of one page per news story means you keep having to click on a page to open it and then go back to open a new one. In the end, I just end up reading a couple of stories whereas in the past, I'd read all the items on the news page, or at least almost all of them.

Still, maybe I/we have it all wrong and CN is getting loads of traffic. But I suspect an English-speaking website would, given the return of Armstrong, the rise of Wiggins, the domination of Cav etc
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I don't like the live race coverage as much. I miss the days of the Hindenburg blimp or the CN Ferrari following the race. The painfully slow loading of the site doesn't help.

I don't use the site any more, which is a shame as it was one that I'd read every day until the change.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.