Quick Release on the Wheels / Will the wheel fall off ?

mattfefc
mattfefc Posts: 71
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
How tight do you do your quick release's up.

Got them on both wheels, I undid them ok so they could not of been that tight when I bought it but when I do them back i turn them until tight but to push the lever in you nearly need a hammer.

Therefore am i doing these too tightly, should I just be turning them until they start to get tight so its easy to move the lever back.

I'm paranoid the wheel will fall off though
Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    It should leave an indent on your hand for a short while.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you can flip 'em closed between finger and thumb, it's too slack. If you have a hernia, it's too tight (as the actress said to the bishop).

It should take a bit of effort to close them, as SirHC says it should leave a slight indent in your palm for a few seconds.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The ideal pressure is when you start feeling resistnace in the lever when it is 85-90 degrees from closed.
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    yep, it should take quite a bit of effort to close it, just make sure not to close the lever flat against something because sometimes you need to get a few fingers underneath the lever so you can get more leverage to open it

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Yukon Lad wrote:
    yep, it should take quite a bit of effort to close it, just make sure not to close the lever flat against something because sometimes you need to get a few fingers underneath the lever so you can get more leverage to open it

Yukon Lad

The number of times I've done this and then have to spend a couple of minutes trying to prise it open again with just my fingertips.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.