can 2nd and 3rd places change in Paris

Rob4
Rob4 Posts: 75
edited July 2009 in Pro race
No one attacks the yellow jersey in Paris but could, theoretically, Bradley, attack the entire bunch tomorrow and gain time to reach the podium?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Would like to think so, Brad leading out Cavendish with Mark taking the win and Brad getting enough to scalp Lance.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's already a thread on this: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12638809

Short answer is: no.
    The last stage to Pairs is a flat one on very wide boulevards. It's very hard to stay away, and almost impossible for the GC favorites. And in the improbable case it happens (Vinokourov a couple of years ago) it's just a couple of seconds you can win.
  • Rob4
    Rob4 Posts: 75
    so it's not etiquette to leave the podium as it is now?
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    redvee wrote:
    Would like to think so, Brad leading out Cavendish with Mark taking the win and Brad getting enough to scalp Lance.

In an ideal world yes, but last time those two teamed up....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Rob4 wrote:
    so it's not etiquette to leave the podium as it is now?

It's not just etiquette - it's also practicality. GC favourites won't be allowed any space to get away and gain any time. Only thing that remains - is to see who wins the final sprint.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    If he did then he would never be allowed to win anything again.

The last person who tried this was Raimondas Rumsas, prior to his self-imposed exile in the granfondo scene.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    If i was Bradley i'd be more worried about guarding my fourth place given that he has finished on the wrong side of a few splits in the bunch. He only has three seconds and if he is on the wrong side and Frank Schleck is on the right side then he could end up fifth overall.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    As I recall one Bernard Hinault successfully pulled off such an exploit... Already in Yellow though. He, however, didn't need to be allowed to win anything.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    If I were Brad I'd wait for the champagne to pop as Astana pootle along and then make a break for it.