When commontators say a rider 'can't climb'....

GiantPete
GiantPete Posts: 14
edited July 2009 in Pro race
I find it funny whenever I hear the commentators referring to sprinters like Cav and saying they 'can't climb at all', or are 'saving their legs for tomorrow' in the autobus coming in 25-30 mins back. Yet on todays Ventoux stage they came in well inside the fastest time of the Etape this year (and this is usually the case every year).

I am pretty sure that if a pro rider like Cav who 'can't climb' rode in any amature sportive Uk or Europe he would look like a good climber to everyone there.

Comments

• GiantPete wrote:

I am pretty sure that if a pro rider like Cav who 'can't climb' rode in any amature sportive Uk or Europe he would look like a good climber to everyone there.

You've probably answered your own question there - the reason Cav isn't riding amateur sportives is that he's one of the world's best pros and is by definition miles better at anything an amateur could do. Phrases like 'non-climber' are relative.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    yep, plus they are riding most of the stage in a big fast group where all the riders are Pros.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's just a term. A bit like when a football commentator starts saying "they need to start playing football now" etc.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    To illustrate the point - This year's Etape was won by Dimitri Champion, the current French champion. Under no circumstances would any cycling commentator ever call him a "good climber", yet he still finished ahead of 7,000 amateurs, 5 minutes faster than the next best guy. It's all relative.
  • GiantPete
    GiantPete Posts: 14
    Ok, interesting to read that the Etape finisher is actually pro.

I understand it all relative when commentators say someone isn't a good climber. Its more when they go further and use langauge like 'cant climb to save his life' or similar.

Anyway I have made my pointless observation, no real complaint, nothing more to add. Thanks!
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Makes you appreciate then, just how good the climbers truly are :shock:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yeah, and that Andy Shleck, he's a good climber, but he's a really cr*p time-triallist
    (all the commentators said so !)

He only managed 50:15, whereas Contador & Cancellara were at 48:30 & 48:33

- but 50:15 is 48.35kmph, or 29.9mph

I think I'd be delirious if I could manage 50 minutes in a 25mile TT...