Why do so many people hate Cav

2»

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    I've never met the guy, so I can't say I hate him.

I have huge respect for him as a rider; amazing Tour by him. Just how many stages will this guy end up winning in his career?

20? Maybe even 30?!

At the same time, he's not my favourite. And when Thor and Mark battle it out in Paris, I will be going for Thor (though I don't like his chances).

But that doesn't mean I 'hate' Cav.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    afx237vi wrote:
    Anyone else notice that Wiggo gives FAR shittier interviews to Eurosport than he does to ITV? Each day Eurosport sends some unidentified female reporter to interview him outside the Garmin bus, and no matter what she asks him, his answer is always: "yeah, whatever, we'll see how it goes." It's like trying to get blood out of a stone. In fact, on occasion, he's been downright rude.

Then with Ned on ITV, answering the same mundane questions he suddenly turns into Mr Charisma. I think Braddo and Neddy have a bromance going on.

That's because David Harmon was nasty to Wiggo's wife on twitter. Haven't got a link but If you search for Cath Wiggins/David Harmon/twitter it'll probably turn up.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    I certainly don't hate Cav - I love him to bits !!
    He seems an emotional guy and speaks from the heart. OK, it disappointed me to see him put
    Thor down as he did, but he's now Apologised AND admitted to being Embarrassed about it all AND expressed his respect for how Thor has gone about winning green. He's still a young guy but is learning/growing up. Not everyone has to do that in the heat of intense media spotlight and while full of adrenaline from a full-on sprint effort. I say well done Cav (and Wiggo too) you've done us proud !!!!
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Seems to wear his heart on his sleeve and also seems to acknowledge his shortcomings as a person - not many people (let alone professional sportsmen) have go the honesty to do that.

Some people are never happy - can't believe the guy's getting stick for being 'too honest'.

He's getting slagged off here for winning too easily because the competition isn't as good as it was 'in the good old days' blah blah

What a complete load of pish
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    He was a bit of a t1t last year, but he's getting better. What would you prefer, an android who recited his teams mission statement at the end of a stage, or someone who said what they truely felt?

Plus, his on-camera apology to Thor just after winning the last stage looked pretty sincere to me.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    edited July 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    Anyone else notice that Wiggo gives FAR shittier interviews to Eurosport than he does to ITV? Each day Eurosport sends some unidentified female reporter to interview him outside the Garmin bus, and no matter what she asks him, his answer is always: "yeah, whatever, we'll see how it goes." It's like trying to get blood out of a stone. In fact, on occasion, he's been downright rude.

Then with Ned on ITV, answering the same mundane questions he suddenly turns into Mr Charisma. I think Braddo and Neddy have a bromance going on.

You should check out Dave Z's on Velo News site. Not sure there's even a stone... painful!

Personally i love both of our boys. Cav has disappointed over the past week with his comments, but he feels hard done by and last years Cav reared his head again. But he's passionate, and you can't knock him for it. Long may he carry on winning. i think the fact that he felt the scorn of of the peloton made him see sense. I also like Columbia. Until another team actually gets its act together to challenge them they are gonna continue to rule.

Wiggo has been a revelation this year, and personally i love his interviews. I think he's trying to keep a lid on his emotions. He wants to shout from the roof tops about how well he's doing, but he has to hold it down till the end of tour. I just think its so so exciting for next year.

We're gonna have Wiggo as a real contender next year. We're gonna have sprinters trying to knock Cav off his perch. we've got a British team entering the fray and at least 2 other new teams. it's such an exciting time!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    juankerr wrote:
    He was a bit of a t1t last year, but he's getting better. What would you prefer, an android who recited his teams mission statement at the end of a stage, or someone who said what they truely felt?

He does recite the team mission though. How many times do we hear how wonderful the team were etc etc.

I don't hate him. He's not someone I'll be a fan of - I admire his talent but the persona he projects on telly and via his book means I'd never count myself as a fan. I've only seen one of his stage wins this year as I've been filtering what a watch a bit.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Moomaloid wrote:
    We're gonna have Wiggo as a real contender next year. We're gonna have sprinters trying to knock Cav off his perch. we've got a British team entering the fray and at least 2 other new teams. it's such an exciting time!
    +1
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Whilst it's good for GB cycling to have Cav doing his stuff I found myself rooting for Thor this week. A much more honest, likeable guy who deserves his success. If Credit Agricole hadn't packed up last year he'd still be loyally riding for them. Top man.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    What about Hushovd berating another rider for having the audacity to take points from him? At that level they all want it badly - perhaps Cav is just a bit more transparent about it.