Alberto Contador...

jimycooper
jimycooper Posts: 740
edited July 2009 in Pro race
He is the best stage race rider around at the moment, we all know this. And he is all set to win his second tour at 26 ect...

But I really havent warmed to him. He just doesnt have the personality and/or the attitude to stand out.

im not knocking him in any way as a rider of course.

any one else feel the same way??

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I know this is tragic to admit, but I have a wee bit of a crush on Mr Contador.

Those eyes... *swoon*

:oops: :roll:
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    I know what you mean. Riders like Jens are easy to warm to because as well as being great riders they are funny and friendly.

I like Alberto - I mean I don't know him any better than I know any other rider in the tour but I do like him.

Maybe the fact that he's not that confident in speaking English means we don't really get to know him?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    I just dont trust him at all.........

He is too good to believe in!!!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Well, he doesn't speak much in Spanish either I can assure you of that! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I don't speak Spanish so I've never really heard him speak, so it's hard to warm to him. I like him more than Lance though.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Harry Hill wrote:
    Maybe the fact that he's not that confident in speaking English means we don't really get to know him?

I'm sure they love him in Spain. But you've hit on the main reason why he's not as big as he could be - his poor English..

We were "treated' to 7 years of english-speaking Lance winning and sound bites galore.

Now we have to deal (as English folk) with a Champion that isn't comfortable in the English-speaking media spotlight.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I like him a lot -- no crush though.

Attacks are always fun to watch, especially when Lance is on the receiving end.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    davelakers wrote:

x2 im not 100% sure about him especially his time trialling
    who cares?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    It's tough to like people who just crush the opposition...

I heard a nice little anecdote on the "Avondetappe" where an ex Dutch pro was with his daughter stuck on top of Verbier trying to get down, ended up getting a lift from Contador himself.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    teagar wrote:

I heard a nice little anecdote on the "Avondetappe" where an ex Dutch pro was with his daughter stuck on top of Verbier trying to get down, ended up getting a lift from Contador himself.

Not that Sophie, she gets everywhere :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • k2rider wrote:
    davelakers wrote:

x2 im not 100% sure about him especially his time trialling
    He can't be doping. He rides for the new clean Astana under the direction of Bruyneel!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Coriander wrote:
    I know this is tragic to admit, but I have a wee bit of a crush on Mr Contador.

Those eyes... *swoon*

:oops: :roll:

s'okay Coriander- you can take Bertie and I'll have Cav. And Heinrich.

I can't warm to Cpntador either, and I don't think it's his lack of English, 'cos I think Sastre is cute.

I just don't trust him to be riding clean. I know he was cleared of the initials AC in the Puerto thing, but why didn't he give his DNA to prove it? And then his little climbing body morphs into a TTer par excellence overnight.

Let's see how good he is when he leaves the Hog.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:
    I just don't trust him to be riding clean. I know he was cleared of the initials AC in the Puerto thing, but why didn't he give his DNA to prove it? And then his little climbing body morphs into a TTer par excellence overnight.

Overnight? He's always been good against the watch.

Also, in Puerto he's never been linked to a blood bag in any form AFAIK.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Reminds me a little too much of compatriot Dani Pedrosa in motoGP; overly tiny, tending to humourless and just not quite right.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Overnight? He's always been good against the watch.

Also, in Puerto he's never been linked to a blood bag in any form AFAIK.

Yep .........but havent you seen the bit of bog roll Kleber links to every now and again with some scrawls on it somehow implicating AC ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Odd, the things that seem to matter to some people - being forward, jokey and able to speak English? Sort of person I’d hate to find myself next to on a plane journey.

I think Contador comes over pretty pleasant and uncomplicated, able to talk sensibly without effect or hidden meanings (from how I see him talk and what I hear the translator say). With a touch of naivety - or maybe that’s just how his reputed shyness comes over.

Too many people nowadays think and behave like they are interesting personalities, when they’re not, so I’m quite glad to see someone who hasn’t yet become that. A successful sportsman doesn’t have to be an entertainer too.