Bike Shape Objects - Rogues Gallery

blu3cat
blu3cat Posts: 1,016
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Dear fellow cyclists,

At work we have the commuters bring in the usual selection of bikes, from the lowly BSO right the way up to some very nice high end carbon.

One turned up recently though and struck me as possibly the worst design for a BSo I have seen in a long time. Now I'm not in any way having a go at the cyclist, they're cycling and that's a good thing.

3752323984_f6f3139b9f.jpg

The really strange thing about this, is the bottom bracket is not at the pivot point for the rear suspension, but is actually behind the pivot point, meaning every bump alters the saddle height :roll:

I thought why not share.

Any other BSOs worthy of a rogues gallery, or have a worse design? :)
"Bed is for sleepy people.
Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
Colnago World Cup 2

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    blu3cat wrote:
    The really strange thing about this, is the bottom bracket is not at the pivot point for the rear suspension, but is actually behind the pivot point, meaning every bump alters the saddle height :roll:

unlikely to be an issue, because the rear shocker probably siezed long ago... ;)

Although, it does look to be in good nick for something made out of angle iron and scaffold poles....
  • Man

thats made my eyes bleed

:shock:
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    Man, if it wasn't for the quality paint job that bike would be ugly!! :shock:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Not sure if the lock isn't redundant, or at least optimistic
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • If it was an animal it would be put down.
    That is one pig ugly bike :shock:
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    Loving the colour coded bell and those spoke reflectors ... nice.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had better looking dumps than that thing. Mind youI, I do have pretty dumps.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    If that bike was a person it would be a cross between the elephant man and Quasimodo.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    maybe it's just the proximity of the chunky purple frame but don't those cranks look awfully long and thin?
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I'm sure that light is really visible under that rack. :roll:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    fatblokefromwarwick
    th_DSC000591204x903.jpg

How come you have a BSO in your Sig?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    blu3cat wrote:
    Trek used to do this, as did others, in the 90's when everybody was working out how to do suspension without messing up pedalling.

ysl8s.jpg
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    IIRC the term is URT, Unified(?) Rear Trianlgle. The chain tension isn't affected by the suspensopn compressing.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.