2010 Tour de F

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
edited August 2009 in Pro race
I know it’s jumping the gun, but ….

The Col de Clarion as a new pass in the Alps for the 2010 Tour was mentioned in a previous thread but the poster didn’t say where it was.
I had a go searching for it, and failed, but instead found some other stuff on the 2010 Tour:

- It’s already pretty well known that the 2010 Tour will start in Rotterdam on 4 July 2010, but it seems it’s not yet decided whether there will be a prologue there, or whether it’ll start with a proper stage to Antwerp or Brussels. If there’s a prologue, start/finish will probably be at the Ahoy indoor sporting arena and the route will go up to and across the Erasmusbrug and Willemsbrug bridges.

- Either way, one of the first stages will supposedly finish at the Atom structure in Brussels, like happened 15-20 years ago. This visit to Brussels is to celebrate Merckx’s 65th birthday.

- Then possibly a stage to Spa (or Verviers), followed by a stage from Visé (N of Liege) to Châlons-en-Champagne (SW of Reims), so starting in Belgium and ending in France.
Followed by a TTT between Epernay and Reims, potentially on 7 or 8 July.

- Although Le Mans is interested in having a stage, the town will have to wait until 2011 (when the Tour will probably start in the Vendée area of France, e.g. La Rochelle, so not that far from Le Mans), because the intention in 2010 is apparently to jump right down France after the TTT to near the French/Spanish border, where the Tour will celebrate the 100th anniversary of going to the Pyrénées for the first time.

- A possible stage is Pau-Pamplona (which would bring the Tour to Pamplona during the San Fermin festival – when they have the famous Running of the Bulls).

- Then a stage from Pamplona (or a smaller town in the vicinity) to Arrete in France, via the Col de la Pierre Saint Martin. This could be from Burguete (NW of Pamplona) to Arrete (SW of Oleron-Ste. Marie), via the Puerto de Ibañeta, the Port de Larrau and the Col de la Pierre Saint Martin, sort of zig-zagging between France and Spain.
The same route in reverse has been rumoured if the Pau- Pamplona idea doesn’t come off.
It’s also said that the Col de la Pierre Saint Martin could be used for a mountain time trial.

- While in the Pyrénées, it’s likely the 2010 Tour will visit some of the places the 1910 route covered, i.e. the Tourmalet and (almost certainly) a finish/start at Luchon.

- In recent years, Alpe d’Huez has been included in the Tour roughly every second year, so possibly it’ll be going there again, but so far the only town in the French Alps linked with the 2010 Tour is Valloire.

- The Tour is also rumoured to be visiting Locarno on Lake Maggiore, in Switzerland, which presumably means the Alpine stages will include Swiss Cols to the west or north of Locarno.

Any other info/conjecture?

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    knedlicky wrote:
    - It’s already pretty well known that the 2010 Tour will start in Rotterdam on 4 July 2010, but it seems it’s not yet decided whether there will be a prologue there, or whether it’ll start with a proper stage to Antwerp or Brussels. If there’s a prologue, start/finish will probably be at the Ahoy indoor sporting arena and the route will go up to and across the Erasmusbrug and Willemsbrug bridges.

There will be a 9 km prologue in Rotterdam, and a first stage to Antwerp trhough Zeeland over a series of dykes and dams, lots and lots of wind: http://www.letour.fr/2009/TDF/COURSE/fr ... _2010.html

I do not believe the Col de Clarion story. New mountain passes don't get built easily, and even less without anyone knowing it.

I also think the San Fermin Pamplona idea is very improbably, because of hotel beds, etc.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I hope they visit the cobbles of the north, and a finish in the Nord Pas de Calais would be long overdue, they've not been to the area properly since 2004
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    July 4 2010 is a Sunday ?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The region around Mont Ventoux has an agreement with ASO for 2009, 2010 and 2011. So it's possible Ventoux will be on the menu again next year and the year after. But this deal could just allow the mountain to feature in ASO's Paris-Nice next year, so we could see the Tour returning in 2011 instead. Prudhomme himself has said it was right that the Tour only visits Ventoux on rare occasions.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I've heard that Morzine has a stage finish, rest day and stage start.
    exercise.png
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    Kléber wrote:
    The region around Mont Ventoux has an agreement with ASO for 2009, 2010 and 2011. So it's possible Ventoux will be on the menu again next year and the year after. But this deal could just allow the mountain to feature in ASO's Paris-Nice next year, so we could see the Tour returning in 2011 instead. Prudhomme himself has said it was right that the Tour only visits Ventoux on rare occasions.

How about an ITT at Ventoux.........Starting atthe summit, and going downhill.. :shock:
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    cougie wrote:
    July 4 2010 is a Sunday ?
    It actually starts on the 3rd, saturday:

Saturday 3rd July
    First stage
    Rotterdam > Rotterdam
    9 km time-trial course.

The 2010 Tour will be launched from the south side of Rotterdam, for a nine kilometer time-trial.
    The launching pad will actually be set up in Zuidplein, from where the riders will move north.

The first stretch will take them to the majestic Erasmus Bridge. At this point, it is not the minor incline that will play havoc with the champions’ rhythm, but the wind that sweeps relentlessly across the estuary.

After a sharp bend to the right, the route will wind back up the course of the New Meuse River for 1 km. The transfer back to the left bank will be made via the two bridges that cross the “Nordereiland” peninsula.

To arrive at the finish the riders will follow the same avenue taken in the first two kilometres, but in the opposite direction.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    AndyRAC wrote:
    How about an ITT at Ventoux.........Starting atthe summit, and going downhill.. :shock:

What about a time trial from Bedoin to Carpentras, up one side then down t'other.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    TheStone wrote:

I hope so - my favorite alpine town, wonderful place
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    TheStone wrote:

I hope so - my favorite alpine town, wonderful place

Top place. Info not certain, but likely to be correct. I think they have to pay the tour, so I'd guess they've decided and confirmed by now. In which case everyone in town will know. A mate (has flat in Morz) is out there now and texted the info.
    exercise.png
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    excellent, I have a mate with a flat in les gets - lets hope the buhda bar is open in summer for a change then !
  • October for the full route announcement?
    Need to plan the holiday etc
  • knedlicky
    I'd venture to guess that Florac in the Massif Central will be a stage town, with a stage crossing the nearby Col de Perjuret, so passing the monument to Roger Riviere there.
    In 2010 it'll be 50 years since Riviere crashed there, when a potential Tour victor. I think he was paralysed from the waist down, as a result of the crash.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    knedlicky wrote:
    I'd venture to guess that Florac in the Massif Central will be a stage town, with a stage crossing the nearby Col de Perjuret, so passing the monument to Roger Riviere there.
    In 2010 it'll be 50 years since Riviere crashed there, when a potential Tour victor. I think he was paralysed from the waist down, as a result of the crash.
    Would that be the rider who was so doped up that he couldn't feel his brake levers?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky wrote:
    Would that be the rider who was so doped up that he couldn't feel his brake levers?
    I understood Riviere was taking a painkiller called Palfium which slowed his reaction time. Thus he pulled on the breaks too late. I think they’d done about 50 km when he went off the edge, but maybe it was the first proper descent.
    He was expected to take the yellow jersey in a later time trial but at breakfast that morning he announced to his team, he was going to go for it that stage. So maybe in his ambition, he overdid the doping only on that fateful day.
    Although, on the other hand, it’s said Riviere continued to take Palfium after his accident, not so much because he needed painkillers (although he might have done initially) but because he’d long become addicted to it. Apparently the recommended maximum dose was 10 and he was taking on average 50 per day. Maybe he was already taking such high doses before his crash?

But I doubt whether Riviere was doing anything much different to several other riders then; he definitely had connections with famous dopers. In 1959, Riviere won the Grand Prix of Algiers, a 2-man time trial race, with Geminiani, who a year later became his agent. Geminiani openly admitted to doping during his riding years and was later a fervent opponent of doping tests when they were introduced (Geminiani was Stephan Roche’s directeur sportif the year Roche did the triple!)
    In 1960, Riviere repeated the win in Algiers with Rudi Altig, who later came to be known as the ‘Rolling Pharmacy’, while Riviere’s main French rival, Anglade, also later admitted to doping (he too broke his spine in a crash but he didn’t end up paralysed).

From what old photos I’ve seen, Riviere had a very pretty, and playful, wife. Shame.