please dont laugh!

daveyj2k9
daveyj2k9 Posts: 13
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
hi, you'll all laugh at this like but please remeber im new lol.

ive got abit of wd40 on my disc brakes and now the brakes arent as good (obviously) but it was an accident lol. would thinners be the best to get rid of the oil, its just im worried about ruining my brake pads. cheers!
mind that corner its tight, oppps to late!

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Either a specific brake disc cleaner, or isopropyl alcohol. You might find the pads are done in though but the discs should be OK once thoroughly cleaned (a scotchbrite pad can help too just to give the discs a wee buff)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • daveyj2k9
    ok ill give it a blast, thanks for the advice m8!
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Oopsie :lol:

You're not the first and you won't be the last :lol::lol:
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • daveyj2k9
    lol itll be the last i do it lol. im still waiting for the bike to bed in aswell before its 6 week service so theyll hopefully sort the pads out if they are shot.
  • I'm always amazed at the number of responses to these types of threads, advising the poster that their pads are ruined and need replacing.
    On numerous occassions I've got GT85 or WD40 oversprayon my discs. Sure they've not worked brilliantly for the first couple of attempts, but 3 or 4 hard stops has always sorted them out!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    try putting them in the own for half hour.... obviously turn the oven on first.... :wink:
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm always amazed at the number of responses to these types of threads, advising the poster that their pads are ruined and need replacing.

Er, there are absolutely none of those in this thread :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • daveyj2k9
    yeah but im new to MTB and i dont know much at all yet about disc brakes, im used to bmx type, just was worried about ruining them
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I once had cooking oil on my pads.

I've put them in the oven for 30min and they were good to go.
    But be ware from the smell. :lol:
  • daveyj2k9
    also u know the chain roller itself, like the 2 rollers above and below the front chainring? is the bracket itself ment to move up and down? god i stink of wd40 aswell lol just removed all the safety stickers :D
  • Northwind wrote:
    I'm always amazed at the number of responses to these types of threads, advising the poster that their pads are ruined and need replacing.

Er, there are absolutely none of those in this thread :lol:

Good, hope it stays that way!
  • andrewjoseph
    daveyj2k9 wrote:
    also u know the chain roller itself, like the 2 rollers above and below the front chainring? is the bracket itself ment to move up and down?

Are you talking about the rear mech? I'll assume you are.

There is usually a little bit of play in the area around the bolt into the dropout. check the bolt is tight, usually a 5mm hex stud.

The frame around the two jockey wheels is also meant to move. this allows the rear mech to change up and down to bigger and smaller cogs.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick I apologise, but you need to get a book or read a few websites to learn more about your bike.

Sheldon browns website is good, as is the park tools website. Do a google for both.
    --
  • andrewjoseph
    daveyj2k9 wrote:
    also u know the chain roller itself, like the 2 rollers above and below the front chainring? is the bracket itself ment to move up and down?

Are you talking about the rear mech? I'll assume you are.

There is usually a little bit of play in the area around the bolt into the dropout. check the bolt is tight, usually a 5mm hex stud.

The frame around the two jockey wheels is also meant to move. this allows the rear mech to change up and down to bigger and smaller cogs.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick I apologise, but you need to get a book or read a few websites to learn more about your bike.

Sheldon browns website is good, as is the park tools website. Do a google for both.
    --
  • daveyj2k9
    yeah just looked it up, its called a chain guide lol, ai i have to remove my cranks to tighten the plate up as it seems to be sandwiched between the main cog and bottom bracket, those websites are excellent, cheers m8!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some pads do really feck up when they get oil on them. Sure, try some of the methods out, but if it doesn't cure it, replace them.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Ha haa!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • daveyj2k9
    theres always 1 :D
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Get the blow torch out and watch the oil drip out of those pads! It's the only way, plus it's fun! :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    for those who spend a fortune on brake cleaners and chain sprays e.t.c from people such as muc-off. A much cheaper way is to look on a hardware website such as www.toolstation.com and in the automotive section they sell chain spray, PTFE spray and all the other stuff that you mite want but most importantly they sell disc brake cleaner for about £3.30 for a 400ml can

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008