Contadors isolation

2»

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The mind games have been going on for a long time. Here are just a few:

When Armstrong joined the Astana team last November:
    - Armstrong took the "Royal Suite" room and got Contador moved to one of the smaller rooms
    - Contador was chatting in Spanish to the hotel staff, Armstrong berated him in front of everyone for speaking Spanish (in Spain).
    - When Contador later spoke Spanish at the dinner table, Armstrong apparently got his PR to find a local English teacher and booked, without Contador's knowledge, some English lessons for the rest of the week

When a relationship with a team mate starts off like this, you can see how things have always been difficult! Today I expect Contador to be isolated once more. But this time in a different way, a solo move to win the stage that leaves Armstrong trailing.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Kléber wrote:
    When a relationship with a team mate starts off like this, you can see how things have always been difficult! Today I expect Contador to be isolated once more. But this time in a different way, a solo move to win the stage that leaves Armstrong trailing.

From Eurosport quoting AC
    "Tomorrow my objective will be to make sure I bring the yellow jersey to Paris (for the final stage)," the Spaniard said after Friday's 19th stage.

"Then, if possible, I am OK to help a team mate, in particular Lance Armstrong so he can stay on the podium."

Although he is Astana's team leader, Contador has faced criticism from Armstrong who blamed the Spaniard for dropping German colleague Andreas Kloeden in Wednesday's mountain stage.

"I never wanted to drop Andreas. We had a discussion at the hotel. Everything is fine now," said Contador, who added he would not take any risks on Saturday.

"The attacks will come from the Schleck brothers (Andy and sixth-placed Frank)," he said.

"I will not have to attack. I will ride conservatively."

Lets hope that this is AC's way of playing mind games with LA
    cartoon.jpg
  • I think a new thread is needed - 'What we will use to attack Armstrong' - suddenly a rider with reputed links to Puerto is 'someone to be appreciated for their talent'. Pretty inconsistent to me!
    Surely no more inconsistent than arguing that Astana (and by implication Armstrong) is clean, but Contador is nonetheless a doper...
  • aurelio wrote:
    I think a new thread is needed - 'What we will use to attack Armstrong' - suddenly a rider with reputed links to Puerto is 'someone to be appreciated for their talent'. Pretty inconsistent to me!
    Surely no more inconsistent than arguing that Astana (and by implication Armstrong) is clean, but Contador is nonetheless a doper...

I agree .... except that now their is the Livestrong factor .... and I think that's significant.

Imagine the impact if Armstrong was caught doping?

His recent statement that he will be doing some triathlons under the radioshack umbrella places him outside of any ASO protection ..... if such a protection exists which I doubt.
  • I agree .... except that now their is the Livestrong factor .... and I think that's significant.
    I see that Armstrong's 'patron saint of cancer' shield of invincibility is still working effectively...
    I am sure he has made quite certain that he won't be.
    His recent statement that he will be doing some triathlons under the radioshack umbrella places him outside of any ASO protection
    His main protectors over the years have been the UCI. Whatever, riding a few triathlons where the pressure is so much less is not the same as trying to win the Tour and he could well treat such events as being just a bit of fun, much like he did with his marathon running where he returned some very average times.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I'm far from a Lance lover but you have to dop your cap to him in this tour for his riding. It's been a real pleasure to watch how uncomfortable he was coming to terms with the fact he couldn't challenge Bertie, yet he has proved that he can still be in there with the best.

Throughout the tour though i have been shocked by the blatant disrespect that LA and the team have showed to Bertie. The Twittering, the comments after stages, have been shocking. And Fatty Johan's blatant disregard for backing Bertie has been horrible to watch. Winning and sticking two fingers up to them must be satisfying for Bertie, but its must be so so hard for him to be part of that team right now. Can't wait for next year. Both in different teams, and both challenging each other.

My only fear, is that if Vino returns it could be like watching old re-runs... dangerous.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I'm far from a Lance lover but you have to dop your cap to him in this tour for his riding. It's been a real pleasure to watch how uncomfortable he was coming to terms with the fact he couldn't challenge Bertie, yet he has proved that he can still be in there with the best.

Throughout the tour though i have been shocked by the blatant disrespect that LA and the team have showed to Bertie. The Twittering, the comments after stages, have been shocking. .

totally agree - posted something similar on one of the umpteen threads that all seem to end up on the same subject.....

i also think announcing the radioshack venture during the tour is disrespectful to the event. however historic his seven wins, the tour is far, far more than one man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    The mind games have been going on for a long time. Here are just a few:

When Armstrong joined the Astana team last November:
    - Armstrong took the "Royal Suite" room and got Contador moved to one of the smaller rooms
    - Contador was chatting in Spanish to the hotel staff, Armstrong berated him in front of everyone for speaking Spanish (in Spain).
    - When Contador later spoke Spanish at the dinner table, Armstrong apparently got his PR to find a local English teacher and booked, without Contador's knowledge, some English lessons for the rest of the week

When a relationship with a team mate starts off like this, you can see how things have

Somebody has been filling yer heid full of mince
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    aurelio wrote:
    I agree .... except that now their is the Livestrong factor .... and I think that's significant.
    I see that Armstrong's 'patron saint of cancer' shield of invincibility is still working effectively...
    I am sure he has made quite certain that he won't be.
    His recent statement that he will be doing some triathlons under the radioshack umbrella places him outside of any ASO protection
    His main protectors over the years have been the UCI. Whatever, riding a few triathlons where the pressure is so much less is not the same as trying to win the Tour and he could well treat such events as being just a bit of fun, much like he did with his marathon running where he returned some very average times.

I tought his times were quite decent for an amatuer albeit one was paced.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • babyjebus
    babyjebus Posts: 93
    Kléber wrote:
    g.

What was Armstrong thinking? I had assumed he already spoke English, though I suppose Texan English has plenty of Spanish in it. Perhaps it was a teacher of rhetoric.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Aurelio wrote:
    I tought his times were quite decent for an amatuer albeit one was paced.
    They were about as fast as I could do when I did a bit of distance running for a change from riding a bike, and I was not a 'genetic freak' but someone who had to work hard to be a reasonable second cat.

I would have thought that Armstrong's supposed 'one in a million' physical capacity would have had him doing at least sub 2.20 marathons with only moderate application. An ex work-mate of mine beat 2.20 for his first marathon!
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    In his post race interview today Contador said "I had to ride 2 races, 1 on the bike and another in the hotel. But my conscience is clean and I'm very happy with what I've achieved"

Says it all
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    jim one wrote:
    In his post race interview today Contador said "I had to ride 2 races, 1 on the bike and another in the hotel. But my conscience is clean and I'm very happy with what I've achieved"

Says it all

I could quite believe that. Lance is a sore loser, he hates not being numero uno (like bertie) :lol:
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    I would ask you all to look at the face of LA tomorrow (26th) when they do the champagne and line abreast photo thing on route to Paris for the yellow jersey winning team. It will be interesting to see how LA basks in the glory of his team mate. Or not..
    I can help thinking he feels totally dispondent that he didn't win.