respect to mbrs

skellator3
skellator3 Posts: 200
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
i am a roadi through and through but have been talked into mountain biking, so bought a mid level hardtail MTRAX 3 smart as owt, so last night bit the bullet and went out to my local trail centre at Mabie in dumfries (part of the 7 stanes) had a discussion with my mates who by the way go out here 2/3 times a week they suggested a nice easy route but me being the show off said no and would like to try the 14 km red route, first time on a mountain bike remember. WHAT A MUG!!!!!

as i said earlier am a roadie so have a good level of fitness but no idea of the diff techniques rqd, used to standing to climb, tried that in a rocky climb spun out!!!!, used to using back brake more, skiding all over, so i had a very steep learning curve and luved it, nervouse as ell on the boardwalks but made it, so i thought i was doing ok, bit slower than my mates who i must admit were impressed that i never killed myself. lol

so i made it round got to the jump park at the end and then had a major wipe out so sutting here with a big bite on the front of my leg, gravel rash on arm and shoulder and sore ribs, but still smilling,

so big respect to you hard core riders, and roadies dont dismiss them till you try it it will do wonders for your handling skills, only dont try the red routes first time out LOL
dont only ride a bike

Comments

• Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Hey! Welcome to the darkside. As for wiping out - don't let it put you off, it happens to the best riders every now and then! Keep trying new trails, with your roadie fitness and some practice you'll soon be out climbing your mates! And desending skills will come with time! Hope you continue to enjoy!!
  • skellator3
    cheers i will keep hurting for now, think i should have got a full sus bike tho
    dont only ride a bike
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Welcome to our world :)

Coming from a roadie background your probably fitter than half the folk on here, so keep at it and wow yourself with how quickly your skills grow.

I did Mabie last year and I really rate it. The phoenix trail is pretty tough for a red (there's one particular steep climb that sticks in my mind!) so nice one, now head over to Glentress and Inners :)
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've actually trended the other way recently and bought a Focus Cayo 105. I've also found it a very different riding experience. Been commuting to work on and off for over a year (17 miles each way) on a converted moutain bike. The Cayo is very different, faster (thankfully) but also encourages you to ride harder and keep the speed up. The other thing it's teaching me is to keep up the gears as long as possible. It's far to easy on an MTB to drop all the way down and then spin away going no faster than 3 mph uphill. With the road gearing (it's a compact) it forces you to dig deep and keep going.

Another thing I learnt was not to ride it off road. They're replacing a cattle grid on my ride to work so I had about 20 yards of dirt path and about 5 feet of grass verge to cross. Came within a hair's breadth of going over the bars.

Definitely good to experience and learn from the other side. Mountain biking will however still be my main cycling love :wink: .

PS found riding without the Camelback quite a liberating experience, also rode home the other night in just my lycra liner, left the baggies at work :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    stumpyjon wrote:

PS found riding without the Camelback quite a liberating experience, also rode home the other night in just my lycra liner, left the baggies at work :oops:

tut tut tut, you are changing already.

nice choice of bike by the way, im picking mine up later with any luck.

to skellator3, welcome glad to hear you're enjoying the off road, im very jealous that you have such ace riding close by.
  • stumpyjon
    I know, I know, but they just feel so sexy.......

Been proper riding today, did W2 at Afan, feel dead now.

Have you just order the same machine? compact (hardcore) or triple (wuss), see been spending too much time in the roadie section as well.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i just picked up a triple, second hand in new condition, comes with 105 cranks instead of the usual gossamers, feels very different to my allez.

see you in the roadie section later :lol:
  • skellator3
    doing the red route at ae tonight, i hear its a bitch, so wish me luck will post tomorrow with the outcome of this killer, 24km with some black rated bits thrown in

wish me luck
    dont only ride a bike
  • stumpyjon
    Have fun, it'll be a blast, try not to die (physically or metaphorically).

• skellator3
    survived just!!!
    no seriously good ride, my technique is getting better learning that momentum is my friend lol

was not brave enough to do the insane drops at the end not on a hardtail. i feel that some riders must leave their brain in the car park before they go out either that or they have bigger gonnads than an elephant

so survived ae next step dalbeattie, its great living in dumfries all these trails within 15 mins
    dont only ride a bike