Beginner advice please..

K3v
K3v Posts: 3
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, newbie mountain biker here.

Just took delivery of my new bike last week, 1st bike i've owned since i was a kid, with the main aim of building a bit of fitness. However i've really enjoyed my first few off-road runs and can see me really getting into the sport!

Couple of questions:

1) After my firsts few runs i've really been surprised at how weak my legs appear to be, any kind of climb is killing me and the soft ground doesnt help :x. Is this normal for newbie cyclists to feel this way and how long should it take before i start to feel a difference in my leg strength?

2) I'm currently going out in an old pair of trainers, a pair of tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt. Is it worth investing in some proper MTB clothing and can someone recommend any makes/retailers i should look at?

Thanks

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hi to you too.

Q1, answer.
    Don't worry, it's pretty normal, but in a few rides 5-10 you'll be storming uphills.
    But it may take longer if you didn't do any fisical activity before, but if you did then
    2 or 3 rides will be enough.
  • dickydulux
    dickydulux Posts: 111
    Hi.
    Very normal to struggle on the climbs :)
    Its surprising how unfit it makes you feel but stay with it and you'll be tearing up them :wink:
    Try and get abit further up the hill each session.
    In months to come, you look back and think "I used to walk up that!"
    Alot of it is in the head. tell yourself you can do it and you will, be negative and you give up :evil: .

As for clothes my riding partner has never bothered with "proper" cycling gear, just using shorts, Tshirt etc.
    Watch out for Lidl & Aldi bike specials, there a good place to start.
    Good luck!
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • The more i read, the more it feels like "spend a lot on clip on pedels, a very expensive bike - at least £1,500, the highest price shorts, £80 gloves, £100 helmet and then upgrade everything" but i'm going for -

Get out on it, have fun, when it brakes fix it, you WILL get better on the hills, you WILL get fitter and you will end up enjoying it!

Remember its more fun once your out there!

P.S. mind your tracky bots dont get caught in the chain!
  • K3v
    K3v Posts: 3
    Damn it druid........hadn't thought of my tracky's getting caught in my chain, can't stop thinking about it now :lol:

Thanks for the input guys, i do feel the hills getting easier...only slightly mind you. but i am really enjoying the feeling of off-road cycling, so much so i haven't really got round to doing much road cycling.

I think it's bringing out the kid in me.....cycling through muddy puddles :D
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    1 thing at a time. if you dont fancy getting biking shorts/trousers at least get padded undershorts, they can be found cheapish. just keep riding and enjoy the puddles, dont worry about the hills as they become less choresome and i like to think the bigger the climb the bigger the reward. although i go up hills at my own pace due to wanting to enjoy my rides for the duration
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    What goes up must come down!
    Decathalon do some pretty decent riding gear for a good price if you do want to start looking for kit. Concentrate on the contact points first - good shorts, good shoes and good gloves really make a world of difference.
  • Only one way to sort the legs out... grit your teeth and push harder. Take rest days between big cycles, eat well and mix your routes up. Above all have fun. You'll be amazed how quick the fitness will improve.
    As for clothes, you can spend as much or a little as you like. All the best.
  • K3v wrote:
    Hi, newbie mountain biker here.

Just took delivery of my new bike last week, 1st bike i've owned since i was a kid, with the main aim of building a bit of fitness. However i've really enjoyed my first few off-road runs and can see me really getting into the sport!

Couple of questions:

1) After my firsts few runs i've really been surprised at how weak my legs appear to be, any kind of climb is killing me and the soft ground doesnt help :x. Is this normal for newbie cyclists to feel this way and how long should it take before i start to feel a difference in my leg strength?

2) I'm currently going out in an old pair of trainers, a pair of tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt. Is it worth investing in some proper MTB clothing and can someone recommend any makes/retailers i should look at?

Thanks

Hi. I'm new to cycling altogether, both MTB and road riding, and like you I have found the hills something of a struggle (I'm not really a sporty person, in general, although used to own and ride horses quite a bit in my youth). A few things I have found help me tackle the hills, though, have been:

* Try eating a high-carb cereal bar 20-30 minutes before you ride, or at least before you are likely to have to tackle any steepish hills.

* Avoid riding too soon after a meal - I find I get much worse leg burn in the hour just after I've eaten than I do in the couple of hours after that, particularly in the uphills or any heavy-going ground.

* If you can, at the start of any ride try to ensure you can get a mile or two on fllatter and easier ground before tackling the hills or rough stuff. That gives your muscles and Cardio-vascular system a chance to warm up before over-exertion.

Hope the tips help a little! The other obvious thing, of course, is to not to be afraid to drop down the gears in time before you run completely out of puff, but I'm sure you're already doing that.

Good luck with the riding (and if you pass anyone pushing their bike up your hill, it'll probably be me!)
  • I've been riding for years and I'm still crap at climbing (riding a 42lb FR/DH bike doesn't help). As for cycling attire, I've never bought proper cycling clothes, always worn regular shorts and t-shirt, and a pair of old trainers.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I don't have "proper" cycling clothes either...just cheap sports stuff from SportsDirect. TKMax etc. The cheap, football style shirts are ok for when its sunny and you can get long sleeve ones for when its cold. Also as its cheap it doesn't matter if I fall off and rip it!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time