Checking in..........

RockyRaccoon
RockyRaccoon Posts: 21
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone, just thought I'd say hello. I'm taking delivery of a Specialized Hardrock Disc '10 tomorrow (hopefully!!) from Edinburgh Cycles.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c002909

Not had a bike for near on 10 years now, but I'm really looking forward to actually going off road on my new bike (and getting fit!)

If all goes to plan, I would like to go to Glentress over the weekend.

I've bought a few bits and bob's (Multitool, Computer, Spare Inner Tube etc), and plan on having a go at changing tyre and repairing chain on my old Giant MTB. Hopefully everything will go ok, but best be prepared I suppose. Any other bits of essential kit I should have on my first outing?

I'll post some pics when I get the bike, and come back and let you know how I got on.

Great forums and site by the way!!

Cheers[/url]

Comments

• trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    Hi Rocky
    welcome to the site. Nice looking bike, I`m sure you`ll have loads of fun on (and off) it :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • trekhead wrote:
    Hi Rocky
    welcome to the site. Nice looking bike, I`m sure you`ll have loads of fun on (and off) it :wink:

Hehe, thanks! Green routes for me at first methinks!!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Booooooooooooooooooo..........

( Welcome )
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    Booooooooooooooooooo..........

( Welcome )

Cheers mate. Obviously I have never been to any these centres before. Are the green trails ludicrously easy?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Hope you have fun with it.

Some way of carrying water would be a good idea :wink: Either a waterbottle or camelbak/other hydration pack.
  • GHill wrote:
    Hope you have fun with it.

Some way of carrying water would be a good idea :wink: Either a waterbottle or camelbak/other hydration pack.

Thanks mate, I did look at those Camelbak carriers, but they are pretty pricey. A big bottle of water in the backpack should do the trick. So far I have:

Helmet
    Pump
    Gel Saddle
    Front / Rear lights (will be doing some road riding too).
    Computer
    Topeak Multi-tool
    Spare Inner Tube
    Puncture Repair
    Gloves

I need to do a bit more research into what I need for maintenance, as I really want to understand how my bike is put together, and in time maintain it myself.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    Green routes are pretty easy, you should try the blue to begin with. But don't let anybody rush you into trying something you're not sure about, there's nothing that will put you off the sport quicker than getting totally disheartened that way. Build up gradually and you'll be flying in no time. I'm only MTBing about 4 months (and like you, my first bike in 10 years) and I'm amazed at how I've come on from my first shaky attempts.

Welcome to the sport, and don't make the same mistake I did. Give your credit card to somebody you trust before it's too late, this sport is a moneypit :lol:
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Looks like you have all the vital kit there mate. A decent waterproof is a good idea and camelbaks are brilliant if you do decide to invest in one, but as you say, you can do fine without.

Maintenance wise, a good chain lube is essential and maybe some biketape to keep your shiny new toy free of cable rub :D
  • Looks like you have all the vital kit there mate. A decent waterproof is a good idea and camelbaks are brilliant if you do decide to invest in one, but as you say, you can do fine without.

Maintenance wise, a good chain lube is essential and maybe some biketape to keep your shiny new toy free of cable rub :D

Thanks for the link mate. With regards to the tape, which specific areas would you use it on? The place I am buying the bike from run beginner maintenance courses. Do you think these are worthwhile, or would a good maintenance manual be as good?
  • Zeroman_IR wrote:
    Green routes are pretty easy, you should try the blue to begin with. But don't let anybody rush you into trying something you're not sure about, there's nothing that will put you off the sport quicker than getting totally disheartened that way. Build up gradually and you'll be flying in no time. I'm only MTBing about 4 months (and like you, my first bike in 10 years) and I'm amazed at how I've come on from my first shaky attempts.

Welcome to the sport, and don't make the same mistake I did. Give your credit card to somebody you trust before it's too late, this sport is a moneypit :lol:

Cheers for the encouraging words mate. I know exactly what you mean about the cash! I only decided about a fortnight ago that I wanted to get back in the saddle so to speak. I have an old Giant MTB in the garage, which if I'm honest would probably still be adequate. But no, after a bit of research in finding out what kit I would need, I've spent around £500!! I reckon I have all the basics I need..................for now!!
  • llamafarmer
    Thanks for the link mate. With regards to the tape, which specific areas would you use it on? The place I am buying the bike from run beginner maintenance courses. Do you think these are worthwhile, or would a good maintenance manual be as good?

The head tube is usually the worst spot, where your rear brake hose and shifter cable rub the frame, but each bike is different, just keep an eye out and you'll probably catch any hidden bits of wear before it gets through the paint.
  • Thanks for the link mate. With regards to the tape, which specific areas would you use it on? The place I am buying the bike from run beginner maintenance courses. Do you think these are worthwhile, or would a good maintenance manual be as good?

The head tube is usually the worst spot, where your rear brake hose and shifter cable rub the frame, but each bike is different, just keep an eye out and you'll probably catch any hidden bits of wear before it gets through the paint.

Thanks again. I noticed in your Sig you have one of your bikes on a stand. Do you do all maintenance yourself? Do you have any thoughts on beginners maintenance courses?
  • llamafarmer
    Thanks again. I noticed in your Sig you have one of your bikes on a stand. Do you do all maintenance yourself? Do you have any thoughts on beginners maintenance courses?

I'm gradually learning the maintenance side. I've got an old Dawes that I'm trying to overhaul and use for a winter bike, which means I can dismantle everything on it and see how it all works. You could do the same on your old Giant. The Park Tools website has loads of good how to guides, but I do find it can make things sound more complicated than they actually are.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    I've got a decent hydration pack you can have for a tenner
  • Thanks again. I noticed in your Sig you have one of your bikes on a stand. Do you do all maintenance yourself? Do you have any thoughts on beginners maintenance courses?

I'm gradually learning the maintenance side. I've got an old Dawes that I'm trying to overhaul and use for a winter bike, which means I can dismantle everything on it and see how it all works. You could do the same on your old Giant. The Park Tools website has loads of good how to guides, but I do find it can make things sound more complicated than they actually are.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the website later. Cheers.
  • Mr Wu wrote:
    I've got a decent hydration pack you can have for a tenner

Can you give me more details? Pics? Cheers