Puzzled by track pump

greasygrinder
greasygrinder Posts: 37
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Hi, I recently bought a Beto Aluminium Track Pump which has been working fine on my presta valves. Then I tried it on a tube with a longer presta valve, and I just can't get a good fit on it. The air just leaks out, I can't get any pressure on it at all. I'm fitting the valve as far as I can into the socket, not

A CO2 pump works fine on it, but that's going to be an expensive way to top up the front tyre every time I go for a ride. Am I being stupid? (It has been known) Is there a magic technique?

It's doing my head in, any help would be brilliant...

GG
Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Im having the same sort of problem. I recently put some tubes in with really long valves and they are a pain in the butt to inflate, the air will either just blow out or i cant get any air to go in what so ever. Ive get around these problems bu having one foot on the bottom of the track pump and the other foot under the end of the adaptor keeping straight so it doesnt drop at an angle. Im definately going back to the shorter valves. i even have problems with my mini pump blowing thes damn things up. Dont know about you but mine dont have the little nut on the valve either to stop it from going into the tyre.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There is an optimum length of valve inserted into the pump nozzle. The problem with longer valves is they give you room to insert much more of the valve in. This will stop the pump from working properly.

All you have to do is stick the nozzle onto the valve, then give it an extra couple of mm insertion, and voila, it works fine.
  • Thanks for your tip, I'll give it a try....

GG
    Knees tracking forward, elbows soft, cadenc- ooo, bunnies!