Can I use 700 x 18-25c innertubes in 700 x 28c tyres?

2tired2ride
2tired2ride Posts: 285
edited July 2009 in The workshop
I want to shead a few grams in my tyre/tube combo by using some Maxxis ultralight inner tubes, but as the biggest size that maxxis do is 700 x 18 - 25c I was wondering if they will stretch. I use Schwable marathon plus 700 x 28c tyres.
"If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
Boardman Road Team 09
Boardman Urban Team 08
Falcon 3 Speed

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I want to shead a few grams in my tyre/tube combo by using some Maxxis ultralight inner tubes, but as the biggest size that maxxis do is 700 x 18 - 25c I was wondering if they will stretch. I use Schwable marathon plus 700 x 28c tyres.

You want to shed a few grams... and you use Marathon Pluses.

Let's just think about this for a second.

Nah, this is a joke, right?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Sorry, that sounded too bitchy. Is it because you have tractor tyres that you want to find a way of losing some weight? Because it really does sound like you've got your priorities an unusual way round.
  • 2tired2ride
    2tired2ride Posts: 285
    Yeah I want to make up for the weight a bit. As nothing goes through the tyre there is no need to use a puncture resistant tube.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    You're not going to see much difference in weight, you certainly won't feel it. Shaving maybe 100gms at the most off a pair of innertubes isn't going to help with the fact a pair of Marathon Pluses are a good 800gms a pair heavier than a regular 28 tyre. Personally I'd just use regular tubes and save the money.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I want to make up for the weight a bit.
    Pointless IMHO. Like changing from knee-length to ankle-length socks under stiff-soled 3-season climbing boots.

Changing inner tubes is likely to be worth 50g, maybe a little more if your current ones are particularly porky. Lighter, faster-rolling tyres will make a much bigger difference. If you want something relatively sturdy you could try Bontrager Hardcase 28s (400g lighter and suprisingly cheap). I've been trying to wear a pair out over the last year and they've coped very well.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They will stretch.

But better tyres seems a better solution for what you are trying to achieve.