Introduction and excitement!

Hitby
Hitby Posts: 218
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Afternoon all, I've been reading this and many other mountain bike sites in preparation for picking up my first bike in about eight years. Really looking forward to getting out and about round Middlesbrough and the surrounding areas to get fit and have a laugh.

I've spent a fortune buying stuff I probably don't need trying to scratch the itch and contain the excitement whilst waiting for my bike which, finally, I'm picking up tonight!

I bought a Marin Northside Trail (09) from Bikescene in Guisborough and (according to the better half) I've been hell to live with ever since lol

Anyway, thanks for all the great advice there is around here and I'm sure I'll be a long term lurker at the very least - I don't really know enough about the sport to contribute but I'll stick my oar in if I think I can help

Cheers!

Dan :D

Comments

• BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    Hitby wrote:
    ... in preparation for picking up my first bike in about eight years.

I should post again a bit nearer the time. :wink:
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Hitby
    :shock: Suppose I asked for that one :) Apologies for punctuation/grammar!
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    Sorry fella', I'm having a dull day, welcome aboard.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Hitby wrote:
    I've spent a fortune buying stuff I probably don't need trying to scratch the itch

Get used to that! :lol:

Welcome aboard Dan.
  • Hitby
    Hitby wrote:
    I've spent a fortune buying stuff I probably don't need trying to scratch the itch

Get used to that! :lol:

lol, the last thing I need is another expensive hobby. So far I've got shorts, gloves, bottle, cage, mudguards(?!?), seat bag, spd compatible shoes, torch, bike mount for said torch, batteries and charger for said torch... the list goes on!

I think I'm going to find it difficult to get home as well as Lidl is on the way and their cycle offers start today :shock: Considering I've yet to even pick my bike up I'm more than a little worried :lol::lol:

Thanks for the welcomes!

Dan
  • Welcome Dan :D

When you get the bike, remember to post some nice piccies of it up in the following part of the forum: Clicky Here :D
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    There are OTHER mountain bike sites? :shock:
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Hitby
    Pics of the new steed are here - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 5#15488375 and also a question about front disc brake if someone could be so kind as to help me out :)
  • Hitby
    bah... and so it begins.

3751624503_66ee144f67.jpg

:lol::lol:
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Straight in there with the obligatory kitchen pics, nice work!

What takeaway was that, looks a bit sweet'n'sour?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Hitby
    lol, left over corned beef stew!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Hitby wrote:
    lol, left over corned beef stew!

You live like a king!

Gone for the orange look in a big way then, nice looking ride that!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Hitby
    yeah, orange and black. The last reflectors left were on the pedals so something had to be done!
  • Hitby
    Well, went out for a few beers last night and got peri chicken on the way home. Felt dead guilty when I woke up this morning so I stuck my new pedals on my bike and went for my first ride :)

I did 8 miles in 45 minutes, I'm sure that's pretty slow but I'm happy anyway :)

This is my route - http://tinyurl.com/mos8h2

As for the pedals - I almost felt like I was clipped in, I'm riding in Adidas PlushXL cycling shoes that I got off ebay and the grip on the pedals is amazing. I couldn't even move my feet to reposition them lol
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Speed and distance on it's own is a bit meaningless. 8 miles in 45 mins where I've been today (Afan) would be God like, in contrast I can do 17 miles on the way to work in an hour. Plus the same route can vary massively at different times of the year, my evening loop takes around 55 mins in the summer with dusty trails, 1hr 15 mins in the winter gloop.

Don't worry too much about time vs distance, you'll know when you're getting faster and above all enjoy it.

Welcome to the cycling fund sucking club.

PS it's not just accessories, soon you'll find you want another bike for different terrain, and then another etc. (I'm up to four now :roll: and still ride like an unfit tool).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Hitby
    I think it's fair to say that it was a pretty easy flat route on a well laid black top. Good advice about the time/distance thing but I still think it's a good personal level of what my fitness is overall. I need to find a decent mount for my iPhone so I can keep track and make sure that everything I do is recordedsss,
    cheerrs

dan