Team Sky have applied for Pro Tour licence for next season

stagehopper
stagehopper Posts: 1,593
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Thought the story was they were originally going to go for a UCI Pro Continental licence as Cervelo have done this year, but according to Cycling Weekly Brailsford has applied straight up for a PT licence:

Cycling Weekly - Team Sky

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    €50,000? Jesus, what a rip-off. What do they get, exactly?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Entry to the Eneco Tour.

And the GP Sochia...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    quite funny whos leading the uci rankings (europe)

http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOF ... w&LangId=1
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    JC.152 wrote:

He's a good rider as long as it's flat
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Getting in first before Livestrong and Santander ?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I checked back and I was wrong on Team Sky - they wanted Pro Tour from the start.
    andrew_s wrote:
    Getting in first before Livestrong and Santander ?

It's starting to look like it might be a crowded table.

To be fair to them they've already laid a huge amount of groundwork with both the UCI and ASO on this regarding budgets, doping policies, facilities etc. Prudhomme's been to Manchester to see the facilities and think UCI was very impressed when British Cycling offered an open house to any other nation to see their training methods post-Beijing.

Just found this on the UCI which suggests the deadline for next year was last Monday, hence the news story:

Award of UCI ProTour licenses for teams
    Date: 26.06.2009
    Description:The procedure of awarding UCI ProTour licenses for teams has been opened.

The deadline for sending applications has been fixed at 20th July 2009. The candidates’ files will be analyzed by the Licenses Commission, which will announce its decisions during September for the best files.

The regulations and the application file can be obtained at the UCI ProTour Department (fax: +41 24 468 58 12, e-mail: uciprotour@uci.ch).

Five teams see their UCI ProTour licenses expire in 2009. There will be seven teams in that situation in 2010, four in 2011 and two in 2012.

Several teams, whose license expires this year, have asked for a renewal of their license. In addition, new teams have shown their intention to obtain a UCI ProTour license.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    JC.152 wrote:

He's last place on the GC in the Tour, right?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    JC.152 wrote:

Nah, he retired
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    JC.152 wrote:

Nah, he retired
    Did he? That's such a shame. So close to Paris too! Did he make it over the Alps today, or did he just not make the cut-off time?
  • cswebbo
    cswebbo Posts: 220
    He crashed on an early decent, in the wet,yesterday, and cut his knee open.

Very unlucky. There was quite a few crashes yesterday including Menchov, no surprise there!
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    http://www.ciclonews.it/news_scheda.php?id=18353

googled
    Pat Mcquaid, President of the Uci told Reuters that the announcement of the entry of RadioShack alongside Armstrong is "a good news for cycling a new sponsor comes to our sport. After the years we have crossed, is the sign that the sport attracts more sponsors. "
    Pat Mcquaid, but added that the team RadioShack has been "a little presumptuous" to say that is licensed Pro-Tour. This is given to best teams and ensure their presence in major competitions. "
    "The British Sky team on Monday submitted all necessary documents. We have then the cards as the administrative details of most of the runners of the team" stated the president of the Uci but did not provide the names of runners who make up the new team.
    "All this information will be evaluated by our Committee on Pro Tour licenses So until the end of the year there is no certainty of this license."
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • the thing that really bothers me about team sky is that sky will buy up all the cycling coverage and stick it on sky sports, in the thought that people will buy a sky package to watch it (my guess is people riding bikes doesn't particularly equate with people watching cycling ) but i guess thats what will happen deperessingly
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    the thing that really bothers me about team sky is that sky will buy up all the cycling coverage and stick it on sky sports, in the thought that people will buy a sky package to watch it (my guess is people riding bikes doesn't particularly equate with people watching cycling ) but i guess thats what will happen deperessingly

I sincerely hope not, otherwise it's internet streaming all theway.

I notice Loveshack said in their PR the'yre riding the 2010 Tour with Lance. Hope they told ASO.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    the thing that really bothers me about team sky is that sky will buy up all the cycling coverage and stick it on sky sports, in the thought that people will buy a sky package to watch it (my guess is people riding bikes doesn't particularly equate with people watching cycling ) but i guess thats what will happen deperessingly
    No, don't worry. This forum's leguape is media-savvy and has pointed out a few times that a lot of the TV rights to most cycling races are sold to the EBU and so they can't end up on subscription TV only. Remember the teams and race organisers rely on high TV audiences to attract sponsors, sticking the sport on subscription TV might work for football where there are many, many more fans but it's not the right move for cycling.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Kléber wrote:
    No, don't worry. This forum's leguape is media-savvy and has pointed out a few times that a lot of the TV rights to most cycling races are sold to the EBU and so they can't end up on subscription TV only. Remember the teams and race organisers rely on high TV audiences to attract sponsors, sticking the sport on subscription TV might work for football where there are many, many more fans but it's not the right move for cycling.

It also doesn't make any sense to pay to stick your logo on a team's jerseys and then pay more money to make sure that only your existing customers get to see them. It only really makes sense to do one or the other, not both.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    afx237vi wrote:

01-Three UCI logo'd mugs.
    02-A T-shirt from 2003 TdF.
    03-A4 Sheet of stickers to share with friends.
    04-Monthly magazine. (Last issue was December 1976 so more than likely it will still be the same)
    05-Access to a 24hr hotline in case one of your riders is positive.
    06-Handbook of technical regulations.
    07-Model of a 1969 bike as riden by Eddy, with a handwritten note from McQuaid stating :"This is the future of cycling by the time we are finished with it".
    08- Handbook of things not to say to the press useful in the case of number 05.
    09- Cuddly Toy Lion to mock sprinters with when they get out of line.
    10- List of Doctors whose patients have subsequently been found positive.
    11- Phone numbers for Doctors in 10.
    12- Rulebook; note this is not to be thrown out of the window.
    13- Pair of Ray-bans for DS.
    14- Cigar for owner
    15- Recipe book by Hinault
    16- Roches guide to post professional diet habits.
    17- Small piece of lint.
    18- Extension lead for team mechanic.
    19- List of useful French and Italian phrases.
    20- Codebook for Team Radios. Sadly Rubber Duck has already been taken by Big George.
    21- Stick to be given to riders. Can be broken into smaller pieces to give little bits of stick to riders. Alternatively can be used whole to beat riders who don't follow team orders.
    22- UCI carrier bag. (1987 tour logo)

Did I miss anything?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    symo wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

01-Three UCI logo'd mugs.
    02-A T-shirt from 2003 TdF.
    03-A4 Sheet of stickers to share with friends.
    04-Monthly magazine. (Last issue was December 1976 so more than likely it will still be the same)
    05-Access to a 24hr hotline in case one of your riders is positive.
    06-Handbook of technical regulations.
    07-Model of a 1969 bike as riden by Eddy, with a handwritten note from McQuaid stating :"This is the future of cycling by the time we are finished with it".
    08- Handbook of things not to say to the press useful in the case of number 05.
    09- Cuddly Toy Lion to mock sprinters with when they get out of line.
    10- List of Doctors whose patients have subsequently been found positive.
    11- Phone numbers for Doctors in 10.
    12- Rulebook; note this is not to be thrown out of the window.
    13- Pair of Ray-bans for DS.
    14- Cigar for owner
    15- Recipe book by Hinault
    16- Roches guide to post professional diet habits.
    17- Small piece of lint.
    18- Extension lead for team mechanic.
    19- List of useful French and Italian phrases.
    20- Codebook for Team Radios. Sadly Rubber Duck has already been taken by Big George.
    21- Stick to be given to riders. Can be broken into smaller pieces to give little bits of stick to riders. Alternatively can be used whole to beat riders who don't follow team orders.
    22- UCI carrier bag. (1987 tour logo)

Did I miss anything?

Don't think so Brucie you even got the cuddly toy in!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman