A Foundation

Booboocp
Booboocp Posts: 1,156
Friends will know that both myself and Caroline (my wife) have been fighting Cancer since 2005, but we have received news that Caroline is now terminally ill with secondary stage breast cancer and has only months to live. With treatment we may be able to extend this and are taking comfort in the way Jane Tomlinson beat the disease for many years.

As many will know I ran the White Rose Challenge this year for Cancer Research, raising over £20,000. I now intend to use this (and other) events to kick off a foundation, it's aim to be similar to Jane's appeal and raise funds for local cancer charities.

The reason I am posting this message on here is three-fold. Firstly the White Rose Challenge will now become dedicated to this foundation. Secondly (and this is where you come in) I will be coming up with some pretty spectacular events, which will involve hard cycling challenges. Details later...

Please do not think me crass, the internet (and particuarly forums) are a powerful medium and I intend using them to help me make a mark on this disease, while giving back something to a sport I've always loved.

Oh and thirdly, if anyone feels they could help me with the foundation, or even just offer advice, please email me on derek at distinctimages dot co dot uk

Thanks.

Admin, any chance this could be made sticky for a few days?
<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk

Comments

• Derek

I'm very sorry to hear your news. You've obviously been living and winning the fight with cancer for a few years now and it sounds like you've got more fights to come. Good luck with everything you have to do.

Congratulations for raising over £20,000 for Cancer Research, that was an excellent effort. I like to do 1 or 2 charity rides a year and I will look out for any events that you organize.

The girls in my family run in the 5k Race for Life. It's always moving to see everyone running with the names of who they are running for written on their backs. There's an amazing sense of togetherness. It might translate to the Sportive ethos of 'everyone working together to get the best time you can, this is not a race.' Just a thought.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Very sorry Derek, my thoughts are with you both.

Andy