Two Dumb Questions

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited July 2009 in Pro race
So there I was, in the work canteen, proudly displaying my knowledge of all things cycling to the awe of my colleagues.

Makes a change from the usual tennis/golf/Rangers/Celtic banter.

Until one of my mates asked if any of the riders were gay.

I was momentarily speechless. Which is a rare thing indeed.

I mean, there MUST be, but has anyone of them ever come out?

Also, whilst knowingly telling all how full bladders are dealt with, I steadfastly maintained that the ladies (for we are superior in every way) never resort to such antics. Despite the races being fairly long, they just nip into the nearby ladies or forest or something.

But then I started to wonder- do they?????

Comments

• Tusher
    PS The great unwashed had already heard of both Cavendish and Wiggins. Which makes a change from the past couple of years, when they've wanted to know why Armstrong wasn't winning.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:

Also, which knowingly telling all how full bladders are dealt with, I steadfastly maintained that the ladies (for we are superior in every way) never resort to such antics. Despite the races being fairly long. They just nip into nearby the ladies or forest or something.

But then I started to wonder- do they?????

Remember Paula Radcliffe in which ever marathon it was. When they've got to go, they go. Not so many spectators for women's cycling, so plenty of quiet spots.

(This is all guesswork, not fact)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Women's races are very short. Even the worlds is 130-140km long, there's no need to stop.

As for riders' private lives, are some things better not left in private.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    big_3649756.jpg
  • Tusher
    [quote="Kléber"

As for riders' private lives, are some things better not left in private.[/quote]

Yes, I'm in full agreement, Kleber, absolutely. But nowadays, it's nothing special, and I wondered if any riders had spoken openly about their sexuality.

(Incidently, the question was asked by a gay man who is frustrated that athletes just don't announce they're gay. He said that in the last Olympics, there was only one- a diver, I think). He said he would support any rider who was gay, whether they were good, bad or average.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    We could have a fun (if VERY libelous) time guessing who could be.....

Quite a lot have got wives and kids haven't they?
  • There's quite a lot of gay women cyclists, notably Judith Arndt.

Some girls were spotted relieving nature at the side of the road in the olympic road race; sometimes they just let it go in the shorts apparently. Renaissance women carried an empty bottle for the purpose btw (slip it under the farthingale).