making trails ?

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Is it allowed to go to the woods with a rake and a spade and make new trail paths? with out damaging the area. Or is there someone you need to ask first ?

Comments

• The landowners for a start.
    And the council.
    Possibly Natural England too.
    Otherwise you could get yourself arrested and a whole heap of trouble.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • Si.Ozzy
    Si.Ozzy Posts: 89
    Senator is officially right BUT ..... i recomend looking on google earth, find yourself an area of local woods where no one walks etc that has a good gradient and get building, my view is that woods are there to be enjoyed and as long as you dont take the pi*& i cant see a problem with it. Dont go cutting down trees though but a bit of creative pruning doesnt hurt

Moral of the story, dont get caught and hide your rake and spade well when you leave it !!
  • MissBint37
    MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
    haha there are times I've been so temptes to take some seccatuers (sp?) out on rides with me, I'm fed up of being smacked in the face!
    Ride it like you stole it!
  • Si.Ozzy
    ITs that momeny when your chasing your buddy, he pushes past a tree and you time it perfect to get smacked straight in the chops with the branch as it swings back, mini saw is the answer !!!
  • Tread carefully and keep a low profile.
    A bit a pruning on emerging trails makes sense, just don't go wading in with spades and shovels.
    once a trail has been established quietly in this manner, no one will know who did it, and that anonymity is good. Do it for the love or riding not for personal glory.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Si.Ozzy
    I completely agree with Dirk, so many time we have built jumps and then when we return we find dirt jumpers have made them 10 times bigger and no longer useable on an MTB (well for me anyway).

Our most recent project is so hidden only 5 of us can ever find it again, the others work for a joinery company so they are planning to put some northshore in very soon. Trail building is one of the best parts of biking, you feel like a 16 year old again that wants to build jumps with his buddies.
  • Si.Ozzy wrote:
    so many time we have built jumps and then when we return we find dirt jumpers have made them 10 times bigger.
    There was a classic case at Ringlands near Norwich. Some great drops and natural jumps, then jump farmers turned up, place got over used, litter etc. Dog walkers complained because they felt threatened, then the council got involved, and tore down the man made jumps. Now it's more or less back the way it was.

Like I said tread carefully.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30