Online purchasing: The raw end of the stick

Lewd Reed
Lewd Reed Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Campaign
As promised to the online store mentioned in the following transcript, I have also posted this on another forum. That post has been cut+pasted into here to save my lazy fingers. I have a valued relationship with a LBS here in Aus, but I also order some things online. Most of the time it goes well, but I recently ordered a HRM/Cycle computer online which turned out to be a poorly designed peice of crap AND a waste of money. To save me from banging on with details, here's a transcript of my final correspondence to an online store that I would never waste my money with again:
Hi Total Cycling.

I have made several attempts to contact you via email for an update on the status of my return for warranty of a cycle computer - the second return in six months - that I purchased from you, and you are apparently choosing to NOT reply. I have just spoken to someone from Total Cycling via telephone (which, from Australia is not a cheap way to gain contact) and have now been told that I have to send the product back AGAIN for inspection. This TOTALLY ****es me off, for 4 reasons:

1) I phoned over 6 weeks ago informing you of the problem, and was told that considering I had already returned it once - and had to wait for over a month to get a new one - that it would be acceptable for me to take detailed photographs of the faulty unit, and accompany a letter describing the problem. This I did - to great detail - on June 9.

2) After receiving no contact after a month, I attempted to contact you via email on July 7, and got no reply.

3) I attempted further contact via email on July 12, and got no reply.

4) I finally resort to telephoning you on July 19, and on contact am informed that although nobody seems to know anything about my return, it would be necessary to RETURN THE PRODUCT FOR REVIEW! If I had been told this in the first place, I "POSSIBLY" would have had it back by now - albeit following another unfortunate postage payment, and consequent 4-6 week downtime with no cycle computer.

Please be advised, that I am extremely frustrated and disappointed in your apparent deliberate disregard to positive customer service, and I intend to forward a public warning of the risks associated with online purchasing from your store. I intend to post details of my experience on both the cyclingnews.com and bikeradar.com forums, as well as making mention to the many members of my cycling club and bunch rides here in Australia. It is my belief that if you intend on selling products which are prone to failure, you have to stand by your obligation to appropriate customer service, or else be prepared to accept a constriction of sales as a result of your apathetic regard to the bad experiences of your clients. Considering these two approaches, from my experience it is clear that you subscribe to the latter.

Sincerely
Jo Breen
AUSTRALIA

It is out of character for me to publicly oust someone, but this has been such a kick in the teeth that I feel obligated to make an attempt to save someone else the same grief. You will notice that this is my first post here, but I have been registered for quite a while and am not a troll (even though I have posted this twice on 2 forums). I just usually don't have too much to say.

JB