Wrist/thumb pain...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
When I fell off 2 weeks ago, i bruised my hand pretty badly.

I've been off bikes now for 2 weeks because of it, and its still hurting when I put any pressure on my bars :(

Just been for a ride out on the roadie for a gentle blast and my thumb + chicken drumstick area is killing me...
It not hurting because its bruised, just stiff, achey and got a bit of pins and needles.

Would something like deep heat and a bit of wrist exercises (not like that.... i have a GF to do that) help to loosen it up?

I'd not really sure what to do, but I'm off to scotland a week on saturday, and its gonna be difficult 1 handed :(

Comments

• borderboy
    borderboy Posts: 161
    Did you get it looked at when you first hurt it?
    You may have broken it !! specialy if you have pins and needles thats not a good sign.
    I suffer from a bad back and my oesteopath tells me to freeze sprains swellings etc, rather than put heat on it as heat draws the blood to the area and causes it to swell when you need it to shrink. Get the peas out the freezer wrap them in a tea towel to avoid freeze burns and smack em on your wrist.
    If you havn,t had it checked out i would get your ass to a+e asap.
    Its all up hill down here
  • aye, went to aande. got it xrayed and nothing was found.... just said it was bruised.

Still kills after over 2 weeks though :(
    Had to wear a wrist support last week while driving, I couldn't move the wheel!!
  • probjones
    probjones Posts: 15
    Is the pain in the hollow at the base of your thumb by the wrist? There's a small bone there called the Scaphoid, which is fairly easy to fracture, but difficult to diagnose, even with an X-ray (Sometimes a scan is needed! :cry: ) Unfortunatley, due to it's location and poor blood supply, it takes a long time to heal properly!!!
    It seemed a good idea at the time..............
  • ahh balls.
    I've actually broken that before :(
    Playing rugby... grrrr.

Prety much exactly where you describe... might be a trip back just to check :(
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I broke my scaphoid last wednesday crashing on the bike, gotta wait 6 six weeks before the cast comes off :cry:

I hope you haven't done the same. Get some ice on it and if its swollen keep it raised up at all times even when in bed.
  • swelling has gone now but it was the size of a tennis ball when it happened :(

Got no lateral movement in the wrist... that fecking kills.

Think i'm gonna strap it and pad it and hope for the best :(
  • yea i got something like that... got a prosport wrist strap from last time in buggered my wrist lol.

damit this is the last thing I need...

I've just realised actually, the xray they took was of the opposite side of my hand... DOH!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    oh dear another trip back to A & E me thinks?