Passport hassles!

MajorPayne
MajorPayne Posts: 100
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Heya guys,

I had my passport a few months back, I knew the thing was a couple of months out of date so it's expired, thing is I can't find it now we've had a right move about in the house!

I've been everywhere over the last few days from the attic right down to the kitchen bin and I honestly can't find it anywhere! infact the house is a mess now and it's going to take me a week to clean it up again I'm sure.

I really need to travel within the next few weeks as my partner is in europe, I'm taking my bike as well but thats another matter.
Do I need to start a new application form for a passport?
As it's lost and out of date in the house do I need to report it to the police and get a crime number too?

All advice welcome as I think I'm really buggered at the moment!

Kind regards,
MajorPayne

I'm a major payne in the rear an so's my saddle! Gotta love the local bike, innit!

The Phillips Phantom http://tinypic.com/a/x10g/2
The Raleigh ACE! http://i31.tinypic.com/25fhzcn.jpg

Comments

• MajorPayne
    Cool, I've downloaded the LS01 and I'll fill it in, tomorrow I'll go and report it to the police and get a crime number or something. Fill in a new application form I've got some spare photos so I'll get them signed.

Then I'll book an appointment with the peterborough branch and see if I can do the one-day service thing and have it done by the weekend :)

Cheers for the help Stewie :)
    Kind regards,
    MajorPayne

I'm a major payne in the rear an so's my saddle! Gotta love the local bike, innit!

• "Do I need to start a new application form for a passport?"

The answer to this common question is both yes and no.
    Tippex, what an erection, go and close the window.
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    As far as I am aware (I'm sure someone will point out if this is wrong), technically you don't need a passport to travel between EU countries (even less sure about he newer EU countries), but it makes things a whole lot easier as there'll be a raft of paperwork to fill in at each border you cross without one and you'd be turned back if you wanted to cross to a non-EU country.

Unless you're sure the passport's been stolen, why do you need a crime number? And why would the police record it as a crime?

I think you should use your Avatar for your passport photo 8)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep you can travel between the core EU nations on any kind of "official" photo ID, like a photo driver's license. You don't need a passport unless you're heading out of the EU.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Yep you can travel between the core EU nations on any kind of "official" photo ID, like a photo driver's license. You don't need a passport unless you're heading out of the EU.

Has anyone tried entering/ leaving UK without a passport using the method described here?

I wonder if anyone has done it and if they have what response they got
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Headhuunter
    spen666 wrote:

Has anyone tried entering/ leaving UK without a passport using the method described here?

I wonder if anyone has done it and if they have what response they got

Yep, I've done it and I have seen French, Spanish etc people coming and going using driver's licenses
  • EdZed
    edited July 2009
    Headhunter - was that just crossing land borders or on a plane?

I would have thought that airlines will insist on a passport at check-in and without one I doubt they'd let you on the plane - it's their prerogative
  • Headhuunter
    EdZed wrote:
    I should have added that I think airlines will insist on a passport at check-in and without one I doubt they'd let you on the plane - it's their prerogative

Yes I suppose it would be wise to check with the airline 1st before relying on the driver's license
  • EdZed
    That'll teach me to edit a submission :lol:
  • MajorPayne
    Heya guys,

Just been to the police station, their telling me there is no longer a requirement to report lost passports to the police and that I should put a line through the boxes listed.

-I don't have a drivers licence either and if I did I would not bother with this passport thingy ever again.

-Filled in all the forms including the LS01 and I'm going to book into the one-week service hopefully gaining a new 10-year passport :)

Thanks for all the help, and I'm still wondering about the expired yet lost passport but no where to amend that's it's both lost and out of date. it's an inbetween and I'm sure it's going to cause major hassle for me when I get their for the interview or something.

Anyone else have some weird passport issues?

Kind regards,
    MajorPayne

• renard
    renard Posts: 51
    I would be very careful about flying without a passport.

I'm a pilot and it varies for flight crew around europe when we leave airports. At some airports, in uniform, our airside pilot passes are sufficient. At others - Frankfurt in particular - they always want to see our passport.

If I lost my passport, then the company would not allowed to fly to europe until I had got a replacement
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    if i remember correctly, you need to send old passports back when getting a new one - so go the "lost" route, as you won't have one to send.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Had the same situation. I thought I'd 'stored' it in a storage box and didn't look for it for years as I wasn't going anywhere. Come the next time I wanted to travel the passport would have been out of date, so set about trying to track it down but to no avail. Sent off for the new one after reporting it as lost.

The moral of this story will turn out to be 'keep your car clean'. How so? After thinking about it for ages I finally got round to giving the car a good vaccing out, and what did I find under the driver's seat? Yup - my old passport. It had slipped out of the pocket of my computer case where I had put it for safe keeping.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    from memory if you declare the last passport lost this actually increases the "wait" time as the powers that be do "more intensive checks"

Hope you get it back quickly mate. i'd hazard a guess it might be several weeks waiting. i know my mother had to get a new one as her "military" one she obtained from marrying my dad years back was useless and she applied for a new one and it took about 7 weeks + a forking interview - beats me why she needed it