So whats the crack with Cadel??

Moomaloid
Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
edited July 2009 in Pro race
He looked and sounded like he was on the verge of tears after today... whats going on in that team??

Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    He's always like that under pressure, but understandable that he's not happy considering previous years' results. Not a strong enough team to support him.
  • Moomaloid
    Something deeper than all that is going on.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    Someone stood on his dog?
    Powered by Haribo.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    He said on Twitter he was going to the doctor, so it's possible he's ill
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I've read that he's apparently had a moan about the lack of practice for the Team Time Trial, telling a reporter to ask the DS why it wasn't arranged and he couldn't sort it himself. Also ITV's twitter said "team tactics & Van den Broeck freelancing in the break instead of helping him".
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I suspect the management of his team are back on the beer.

He needs to get himself a decent frickin' squad!
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    iainf72 wrote:
    I suspect the management of his team are back on the beer.

He needs to get himself a decent frickin' squad!

+1 ... they are a shambles
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    His comment before getting on the team bus was:
    "Physically, everything is fine, but for professional reasons, I can't comment on the problems I've been having"

Running this through BabelFish Australian to English converter you get:
    "My team are shite and couldn't organise a pi55-up in a brewery, and as for that fecker Jurgen Van Den Broeck.........."
  • Moomaloid
    Yeah thought as much :lol: he really does need to jump ship next year...
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Has Lance asked him to join his much vaunted new team???,now that would send you to the doc's !!!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Here's the quotes made by Cadel:

Quote:
    Evans also hinted at discontent within his own team after Monday’s fifteenth stage, which Evans labeled the worst of his Tour de France career.

Asked after the race if he was ill, he said: "No, it's politics ... stress."

While he didn’t elaborate at the time, Evans told McGrory that his pre-race efforts to motivate his team had been unsuccessful.

“I made many suggestions, and voiced many opinions. Not much happened.”

Despite being Silence-Lotto’s team leader, Evans said the direction of the team is out of his control

“When it’s the whole team, I can say my suggestions and voice my opinion, but it’s the team direction and management that have to take the whole team together and take them out of their normal race programs.

“Go do a team time trial training camp or whatever. That I can’t organise”

Here's the link:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,207 ... public_rss
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Here's some more Classic Cadel:
    "I'm out of it. I'm out of the race. For a place on the podium at least," said Evans.

"Physically, everything (is) fine. But for professional reasons I can't comment on the problems I've been having."

Link: http://au.promotions.yahoo.com/sports/tour-de-france/news/article/-/article/5742329/dispirited-evans-admits-its-over/

And, although it not up on the web, that I can find. In today's local newspaper:
    "Everything has gone against me. I can't wait to get to Paris even sooner as it will make getting back to Barwon Heads [in Aus] even sooner. I'm actually counting down the days".

Personally I think I preferred Head-butting, step on my dog threatening 2008 Evans, to this new Cryptic Cadel.
  • WRC74
    WRC74 Posts: 1
    Given the 'can't comment for professional reasons' and the comments from Redant which appear to indicate that they are more prepapared to nurture Van den Broek than support Cadel you'd have to assume there are some growing problems in the team.

Cadel should finally give Silence the flick, even if it means he has to set his sights on doing other things than winning the TdeF which unfortunately he is unlikely to ever do. Not sure which team would take him (and maybe pay him what he wants), but surely one of them would see value.

I'd also be suggesting to young Jurgen that he ditch Silence as well. Since their track record isn't exactly stunning in terms of supporting riders. If he is setting his sights on a stellar career I'd suggest it's more likely to happen somewhere else!

Perhaps Alan Davis could move over to Silence and they could focus on a sprinter again, since he's obviously going to continue to play second fiddle to Boonen (not surprisingly) at Quick Step.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    He could go to Astana when Armstrong, Contador and Bruyneel leave....to ride in support of Vino :lol:
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    All I can say is that you reap what you sow. He chose to stay with Silence for whatever reason knowing full well their limited talent, poor recruitment record and having the most inept management team in pro-cycling. I understand there was a sense of loyalty in that Lotto afforded him a second chance post Telekom, however the writing has been on the wall for a couple of seasons at least.

Unfortunately his best days are behind him and his chance to win the TDF has definitely past. Should've chased the bolter up Alpe Huez last year.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Silence-Lotto have always been a chaotic outfit. Look at their classics campaign this spring where they hardly one a thing, often because of bad tactical decisions.

Now Evans is suffering from the same. The TTT was a shambles, the riders were all over the road and at one point they dropped Van Summeren for 30 seconds and then changed their mind and waited for him. By the time the lanky lad returned to the group, he was cooked from the chase and no use to anyone. I've done amateur TTTs with a better plan and sense of organisation. Also Lotto boasted about their TTT practice but they rented a flattish motor circuit, hardly ideal for a twisty and hilly route.

That's just one example but it shows how badly organised things are. I'm sure if all of us were running a team with a GC contender we'd spend the winter months planning recces and getting the team doing drills during training camps throughout the season. And on the day we'd have a plan on which riders to sacrifice and who to keep.

Yesterday was made worse by Van den Broeck solo efforts, probably the final straw and a bit like last year, he's beginning to crack in front of the media.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I remember reading somewhere he had a particular sense of loyalty to Marc Sargeant and that was why he stayed at Silence in previous years. I think many would have regretted that decision a while ago and jumped ship. I would think Cadel might be more likely to take that step now, but yes it looks like he's left it too late.
  • As bad as Silence are its Cadels own fault, who actually believed that after 3 odd years of SL sending Cadel off to the Tour with almost no support that all of a sudden it would be different this year. To be honest i felt sorry for him the first time i heard all this after years of it i just wish he would either go to a team that will support him or stop the constant whinning to the media that no one helps him (including other teams which is just a stupid thing to complain about). Im a bit surprised his struggling this much considering how well he seemed to go he wasnt blowing guys away but he was solid and looked like he would give some of them a go.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • He looked great in the Dauphine. I don't think he likes the fuss and circus around the tour. He needs someone like hincapie to mind him.
    Dan
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    apart from his team woes which appear genuine .... his real problem is he missed is one chance at winning this race.

it was last chance saloon for both sastre and evans last year.. only room for one at the top
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    In an interview after yesterdays stage Evans said "it's not my fault, everybody hates me, the teams crap, I don't like my bike, my shoes hurt, these shorts don't fit properly, the road is too bumpy, the hills are too steep, whine, whinge, moan".
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Pirahna wrote:
    In an interview after yesterdays stage Evans said "it's not my fault, everybody hates me, the teams crap, I don't like my bike, my shoes hurt, these shorts don't fit properly, the road is too bumpy, the hills are too steep, whine, whinge, moan".

I totally agree. He is a pain