Servicing

canaryv
canaryv Posts: 37
edited July 2009 in The workshop
I just got my bike back from my local shop today after a service - I was surprised to see the chain had not been cleaned and re-lubed. I was expecting this to be a standard part of the service (as this is a key part of the bikle and just as you'd expect an oil change as part of a car service). Was I expecting too much? Its my only local shop so I don't want to be regarded as complainer but for £40 I was hoping for better.

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    canaryv wrote:
    I just got my bike back from my local shop today after a service - I was surprised to see the chain had not been cleaned and re-lubed.

I'd be surprised at that as well. How can they have done a tune up on the gears without cleaning the chain?

What do they claim to do for £40?

On the rare occasion my bike has been serviced by the LBS it comes back with a clean chain at least. Its rare as I do pretty much all of my own servicing these days.

Mike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If a bike was overly dirty I would advise that the customer cleaned it first, or let them know about it. The bike can still be serviced with a gunky chain, but it is not ideal. The gears will still work in the stand.

I think the problem here is lack of communication from the bike shop.

Services never included cleaning at all shops I have worked at, but we did advise this.