Getting behind the saddle

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Looking through the magazines, I can see that the most common rider position for things like steep descents and various 'tricks'/skills is to get your rear end up and behind the saddle. The problem is I can't seem to lift myself high enough off the saddle to do this. I don't know if I have the saddle too high, if I'm in too stretched out a position, or if I'm just an inflexible git.

The bike is a Trek 6300, which the company describes as a 'racing hardtail', so the geometry probably reflects this. Right now I have the saddle at the 'leg just slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke' position, with the handlebars on a 120mm stem. Sitting on the bike 'normally' with the pedals level, my leading leg is bent just short of 90 degrees, and my arms make a 45 degree angle with the handlebars. I'm leaning slightly forward in this position, with my head slightly forward of the bottom bracket.

I'm sorry if this makes no sense, as I suspect.

Cheers,
Adam.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lowering the seatpost does indeed help this, but compromises efficient XC riding postion.

I often lower mine for more technical riding.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Dropping the saddle can definitely make a noticeable difference on steep techy stuff. It might be worth getting a quick release seat clamp if you don't have one.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's also one of those things that's easier to do once you're used to it- so learning and practicing with the seat seriously dropped down so that it's completely out of the way can be really helpful, then once you're comfortable with the movements and the effect it has on the bike, try it with the saddle in a more useful position.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    If you lower the saddle for the descent and re adjust it for the ascent this is how i and several others do it. It comes naturally eventually.
    If your a bit of a lazy arse like me, get a seatpost which does it for you (crank brothers joplin). I must buy one of these very very soon .
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It also helps if you can scratch your knees whilst standing upright, like the rest of us monkeys. :lol:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"