crossing the pyrenees spain to france

dang100
dang100 Posts: 44
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm planning a cycling trip this summer across Spain and France. I'm looking for a good place to cross the Pyrenees; mainly I'm looking for a crossing that isn't a main road.

The smallest road I've found so far goes over the Col de la Pierre St. Martin.

My questions are:

a) Does anyone have any recent experience of this pass? Is it busy / steep / still there / washed away in a landslide etc.

b) I'm open to suggestions - does anyone have any better ideas for crossing the Pyrenees from Spain to France. Ideally further east than Pierre St Martin so as not to go too far out of my way.

Thanks,

dang100

Comments

• megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    I have just posted this on another website and it may be of interest to you.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • dang100
    Perfect! More than perfect! Megilleland, that helps a lot. Thanks.
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    There is also the Col du Portillon which brings you into France at Bagneres de Luchon. Its a Cat 1 but only 9k (watch out for the small 24.8% section about half way up according to the new Spanish markers).
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    Just got back from a tour of Spain/France/Pyrenees

We crossed the Col Du Portillon to get into France. Nice short climb, don't remember anything close to 25% though.

To get back into Spain we took the the Col De Izeguy, western edge of Pyrenees (672m and 5 miles) nice easy climb and very quiet.
  • dang100
    thanks alp77. I'm pretty much decided on pierre st martin but nice to know the col du portillon is also an option.
  • Pierre St Martin is a tough one (on the French side). Have you looked at the Col de Portalet?
    http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/cycling_over_pyrenees_1.htm