AFAN Forest or Cwmcarn by public transport ?

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Without car at mo , has anyone been to Afan using public transport ? if so , how ?

Comments

• GT-Roman
    GT-Roman Posts: 24
    Take the train to Port Talbot then cycle up from there.

Job's a good un. :D
    Just ride!

Old School - GT Pantera
    New School - Genesis Core 30
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    When I was in Glyncorrwg last, I got chatting to a Kiwi that had previously come up on the train from London with bikes+camping gear!!

Just about struggled there and back, with tent lashed to the frame of the bike. He said it was just about do-able.

Dunno if I'd be brave enough to try a day-return (no tents/etc)!! Although, that would be some day.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • jondi
    how from Port talbot to Afan is it please ?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/getting_here/getting_here.aspx

'The nearest railway station is Port Talbot, 12 miles away. '
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jondi wrote:
    how from Port talbot to Afan is it please ?

About aleast 10 miles, by the time you cycle to Afan, you will be tired for the trails riding, you would be better off camping there or get a lift from someone so you will be fit for the trails and enjoy it more, ask for a lift if you can, I am sure some local's will help out and go riding with you.
  • jondi
    What about Cwmcarn, doesn't Crosskeys have a train station ? how far from there to Cwmcarn trails ?
  • Mr Rowlie
    Mr Rowlie Posts: 41
    I live very close to Port Talbot train station and frequently ride to Afan, do penhydd / the wall and then ride home again. Not too bad if you're only planning on doing 1 trail. However i would not suggest riding 2 if you are going to ride from the station.
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Crosskeys does have a station which I believe is linked to cardiff.
    From the station the trails are about a mile or so away.
  • paulscutt
    paulscutt Posts: 332
    there is a bus service to 'Cymmer' which is close to glyncorrwg, unsure what number etc but may be on neath port talbot council website?
    never tried it - always use my car - going on friday after work :)
    **2009 Trek Remedy 8**

Specialized P.3 (custom) w/ Deore hydro discs, XT group, Blackspire device, Mavic D321's