Relative newb with "exotic" bike - is it any good?

Czenglish
Czenglish Posts: 26
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, been lurking here for a while, and have just signed up. I've been riding for about 18 months, and am totally smitten! I'm a Brit expat living in the Czech Republic, and the "default" bike brand here is Author - www.author.cz/en

My wife thought - correctly - that I needed more exercise, and bought me this: http://www.author.cz/en/kola/katalog/&c ... pid=601591 - price was around 300 quid.

This is my exact bike in every regard. I've not changed anything, beyond adding a cycle-computer, some cheap lights - and lots of mud! It's done over 1100km so far without any real problems - only a clicking pedal (just needed some oil) & a stretched brake cable - which I'll replace as soon as I work out how.

My preferred riding is XC, but I do encounter the occaisonal light technical section on local forest trails. It's the first bike I've ridden in nearly 30 years, so I have nothing to compare it with. Just wondered how this compares to the other makes/models I see being discussed here.

Also wondered if there's anything I should look at upgrading.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the parktools link in my sig for How Toos

spec seems about right for £300 from a low volume brand.

some things that glare for replacement are pedals and bars.

and possibly the wheels could go lighter. but I would not go mad as the frame is a bit dated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I agree on the bars - spend 10- 20 quid on an alloy bar.
  • Czenglish
    Thanks both for fast replies! :D Pedals & bar are what I'm looking at right now. Will prob get some V8 copies (and then maybe go clipless next year) and also a lighter bar - probably a riser, as I've read it can help with the numb hands I often get.
  • nicklouse
    Czenglish

Have a look at the Shaman Bars
    http://www.shamanracing.com/

Local and Tested on Human :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Czenglish
    :lol: "...and extraterrestials"! http://www.prokoprider.net/index.php?p= ... l&h=17&l=7
    Brilliant, thanks guys.
  • nicklouse
    I like the feel of the DH bars that i have been running for a while. the 4X ones are a little different but I also like. Not tried the XC ones yet.

My only issue with Shaman is at times the finish is not quite as good as it could be. But it works.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    So what's the riding like in Prague out of interest?
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Czenglish
    Got caught up in other stuff.

Nicklous

Thanks for the Shaman tip, website says they have a stockist not far from work, so will get down there and have a look.

Any tips re grips?

Supertwisted

I wouldn't ride actually in Prague - just driving's scary enough! I'm actually living about half an hour out of town. Lucky to be living in a national park, with lots of quiet lanes, forest paths & riverside tracks. Mostly gentle stuff, but very hilly. No trail centres here, but you can find DH if you look hard enough - a mate of mine's into this. Urban riding seems to be very popular.
  • nicklouse
    Grips ODI Lock ons.

Big hands Rogues
    small hand Ruffians.
  • Czenglish
    Great, thanks.
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    Czenglish wrote:
    Thanks both for fast replies! :D Pedals & bar are what I'm looking at right now. Will prob get some V8 copies (and then maybe go clipless next year) and also a lighter bar - probably a riser, as I've read it can help with the numb hands I often get.

Don't go clipless until you've got some more skills on the platforms e.g. lifting the back wheel.

Number hands are usually a sign that your position on the bike is out. A riser will push you back a bit which may take some weight off your hands. Some sort of grip with more padding may also help.
  • Czenglish
    e.g. lifting the back wheel.

Well I can endo unexpectedly if that counts... :wink: But expect you mean endo turns, bunny hops etc?

Cheers - yeah, risers could also be a solution. Suspect it may be down to bad posture - most often happens towards the end of long rides when I'm knackered & start slumping. But can also happen seemingly at random.

Position - Always feel I'd like to have the saddle further back (it's back as far as it can go), so maybe risers could help with this.

Current grips have to go - cheap foamy crap that came with the bike & are pertty mashed now.