I have seen the future...........

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited July 2009 in Track
..........and his name is Matt Gittings!

Saw him in action at the Welwyn Dernyfest this Saturday, and he was awesome to watch. In the 65 lap (30km!) final, he came a not too distant 2nd behind Elite rider Simon Gaywood, only cracking in the last lap. The final was run off at an average speed of 34mph!
http://www.londoncyclesport.com/Results ... mnium.html

Not too shabby for a 16 year-old especially as this was the longest track race he'd ridden!

It appears he also upset the apple cart at the Herne Hill Dernyfest earlier this year by beating current National Champion Bryan Taylor.

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Matt is a Reading TL regular and currently 2nd in the A riders table and one of many talented juniors that we racing there.

Matt and George make a formidable Derny team. I’m not sure if they are entered for the National Derny Champs at Newport in Aug (forgot to ask him at the TL last night) but it’s going to be a an interesting championship if they are...
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Eddy S wrote:
    Matt and George make a formidable Derny team.
    Haha - I saw George giving Matt hand signals behind his back at about half distance in his heat.........3 fingers....2 fingers next lap....then 1 as they went up the home straight. They were right at the back at this time.

I couldn't work out what they were playing at until they went belting up the outside on the next lap, with nobody else able to follow the scorching pace.

I predict great things if he can steer clear of the birds and booze. :wink: