stuck bottom bracket

JonS123
JonS123 Posts: 171
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Help! tried to remove it so I can change my front mech (I have a BB mounted one) and it won't shift, any advice, or shal I just drop it off at the LBS and act all innocent if they mentioned it was hard work

Comments

• What kind of BB is it?

I've only every had problems with ISIS ones due to the shallowness of the notches in the cups, over came it by putting the BB tool on the notches and clamping it in place by putting a Quick release skewer through the hole and out the other side of the axle and doing it up nice and tight, gives you plenty of scope for some proper muscling on the stuck BB

Also, if it still doesnt budge, instead of using an adjustable wrench on the BB tool, leave the tool clamped on and insert it into a vice and use the frame to turn it - much greater leverage - just make sure you are turning it the correct way. One side is probably a reverse thread.

Try spraying a whole tin of anti seize stuff at it as well and coming back to it later.
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    They can be too hard to remove sometimes even with the correct tools. Double check you are not trying to do it up (left hand thread on the drive side is most likely - not righty tighty!). I would take it to the people who have the expertise and tools to easily do the job and for a few quid, save yourself the hassle.
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Its a shimano BB (don't know the exact model no) but it does have a BB mount mech, and from googling it appears that there are different versions of BB's for this? Its square tapered.

I did try one big wrench on the BB socket tool thingy, and while I did try both directions, I assume that I need to be turning it clockwise on the drive side, and anti-clockwise on the non-drive?

I can remove the cable guide for the mech's easily so over the weekend I may try to see if I can get some form of anti-seize or a penetrating oil into it, but I do wonder if its seized on properly - bike is 15 years old and after the recent work i have done on it the only original parts are the frame, BB, seatpost and handle bar's.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would recommend soaking the area in PlusGas, and trying again a few hours later with longer leverage if possible.

What tool are you using exactly? Is it for a cartridge bottom bracket?