Un lucky week of cycling.

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
Hi all,

Just come on here to feel sorry for myself really as I have had a really unlucky week of cycling and just thought I would share my experiences with you.

Last Wednesday I was on a 10 mile TT and after just 10 yards my chain snapped and so that was the end of my TT. I did not have a spare chain link with me and so had a 2 mile trek back home pushing my bike!! Not fun. :(

Anyway...brushed my self down, repaired the chain and then went back out on Saturday to do a quick 15 mile run. 2 miles from home .....PUNCTURE!!!!!!...........Repaired the puncture and managed to get about 60 psi of air into the new tube at the side of the road.

Got back home and pumped the tube upto 120 psi....heard a crackling noise and then heard my tube EXPLODE......think the replacement tube was twisted.......

Lets hope this week is better especially on this weeks TT.

Tino
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• Can I extend it to a month?

A race a month ago, bloke makes a newbie mistake, leaves his front skewer forward. Lead group in race, 13 lads, feeling strong, windy, hilly circuit and I haven't done a tap. Bloke rams into my rear end and my rear mech gets dragged through the wheel. £200 to repair and for a new mech, plus another opportunity for a good placing lost. Not so much as an apology.

Last saturday, chain pin comes loose (chain was fitted in the LBS on thursday, so 1 day of riding on it) on the start of last lap up the finishing hill. Another derailluer snapped in half, mech hanger bent and spokes snapped all over. Once again, another good placing scuppered. Will cost me upwards of £200.

Don't know if I can actually afford to keep on cycling.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Not as bad as shocked but to add my own, 3 weeks ago doing the white rose classic, going down hill, hit a rock, front wheel goes sideways and I go skidding along the road.
    Shoulder hurt (still hurts), handlebars bent, tape destroyed, saddle broken, loads of skin lost and a ruined race and it still hurts going out of the saddle!

Today everythings nearly recovered, sprinting up a hill out of the saddle. Pedal decides to unclip, I go down very hard on my other shoulder/arm/leg. New handlebar tape ruined, handlebars bent more, new saddle bent. Now both my shoulders hurt, and I have symmetrical road rash.
    On top of that the car behind me called me a w@nker as I was lying tangled with my bike!

Ho hum, more repairs and another few days off. So much for thursdays race...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Also shocked, if the lbs fitted it and that was to blame, surely it's their fault that it's broken?

Get them to pay for the repairs, reasonable use of a product, not your fault so make sure you get money off whose fault it was!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    I can emphasise with you guys. Ras de Cymru - worst racing performance ever - dropped on every stage and ended up Lantern rouge. Last week shut car tailgate on Garmin 705 - one damaged screen - cost £100 to repair. Sunday geting some tools out of garage - drop spirit level through Campag Ghibli disc wheel - waiting to hear if it can be repaired - if not cost £1600 +. Hopefully covered on household insurance.
  • Dess1e wrote:
    I can emphasise with you guys. Ras de Cymru - worst racing performance ever - dropped on every stage and ended up Lantern rouge.

You finished though, so don't worry! If you pack you never know just how far you can cling on for!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Can I extend it to a month?

A race a month ago, bloke makes a newbie mistake, leaves his front skewer forward. Lead group in race, 13 lads, feeling strong, windy, hilly circuit and I haven't done a tap. Bloke rams into my rear end and my rear mech gets dragged through the wheel. £200 to repair and for a new mech, plus another opportunity for a good placing lost. Not so much as an apology.

Last saturday, chain pin comes loose (chain was fitted in the LBS on thursday, so 1 day of riding on it) on the start of last lap up the finishing hill. Another derailluer snapped in half, mech hanger bent and spokes snapped all over. Once again, another good placing scuppered. Will cost me upwards of £200.

Luke - as these things come in 3's prepare yourself for one more :cry:

Bad luck though. I take it Saturday was on Saltwick was it?
    On a similar note I went through a series of bad luck a couple of seasons back, including a horse related bunch crash which saw some carbon bars snap in two. There must have been 2 or 3 races on the trot when everytthign went wrong. Keep your head up!
  • celbianchi wrote:
    Can I extend it to a month?

Luke - as these things come in 3's prepare yourself for one more :cry:

Bad luck though. I take it Saturday was on Saltwick was it?
    On a similar note I went through a series of bad luck a couple of seasons back, including a horse related bunch crash which saw some carbon bars snap in two. There must have been 2 or 3 races on the trot when everytthign went wrong. Keep your head up!

Saturday was Barnesbury! Was supposed tor ace at the NFM on sunday too. Was really looking forward to it as I was feeling good through the race on saturday. Never mind. Seasons almost over now though!

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Dess1e wrote:
    I can emphasise with you guys. Ras de Cymru - worst racing performance ever

Good to be taking part though :wink:
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Well my puncture was a bad one............... :oops:

Well having seen these stories I feel quite a bit better about my troubled week.

Expensive doo this cycling lark init?

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!