Limited Bike choice for LEJoG

trekrider127
trekrider127 Posts: 83
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Long story guys ...

But basically I've committed to doing LEJoG next year to support the hospice where my father-in-law is. Its an attempt to do it as quickly as possible 7-10 days.

I don't want to invest any significant money in a bike for the venture and am asking for some advice as to the best choice from 'current stock'. I'm able to make minimum investment into kit - change of tyres, cassette, racks and panniers etc.

Choices are:

Trek 1.7 - with compact ultegra

Claud Butler - Roubaix triple - with Sora 8spd

Specialized Rockhopper - Deore XT

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated. I have to say the distances wouldn't be a concern if I was travelling with full backup, it would be the Trek everyday - with musette passed through the window please! But this is self supported using B&B's etc.

Cheers - in the hope that some experienced tourers may advise this die hard roadie!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Of those, got to be the Claude Butler.

What about a Ridgeback Horizon (comes with guards, just add rack), or a Ridgeback Voyage (with rack and guards, and lower gearing).
  • Sorry - didn't make it clear. When I said current stock I meant they are the bike I have now - I can't go to the expense of buying another bike.

Just found this page though - it makes the Trek look like a good choice. I could certainly keep up a better speed on it.

http://www2.arnes.si/~ikovse/weight.htm
  • alfablue
    Ah, got you now :oops:

Speed is obviously "of the essence" if planning to do it in 7-10 days, but then high mileage days means comfort will be important too. The trek resolved the former, the CB the latter I would guess. If you are a strong rider then gearing should be okay on the Trek, if you keep the load down. The Trek doesn't have rack mounts as far as I know, however you can get around that. I know the Trek 1.2 (cheaper frame) made a surprisingly stable loaded tourer.
  • Ahhh .... rack mount ... never thought of that. There's the roadie in me.

Maybe if I travel as light as the article then a beam rack would be okay. I was thinking of gearing 12-27 on the back anyway - just to make the hils less of a problem combined with the distance.

Cheers
  • Ha! Alfablue - I've just read your post on beam racks - P Clips it is
  • alfablue
    And m-part seatpost with rack mount? Will give a more secure upper mounting and less threat to the paint on your seat stays. Or, what about a saddle bag - like the Carradice Carradura with supprt or one of their others. It takes 23 litres, so a little more than one typical 20l pannier.
  • Thats helpful - thanks - 23l would be plenty with a small handlebar bag