URGENT help- pannier rack problem with road bike

oilyribbons
oilyribbons Posts: 24
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi, thanks for help I've had so far.
I'm leaving next weekend for Italy, but am still having problems with the cycle rack. I bought the adapter set by Tubus, which mounts the rack onto a new, longer skewer, without bolting anything to the carbon frame. However, the ends of the arms on the cycle rack are too large to fit to the existing collar on the aluminium seat post.

I tried using longer screws to use on the seat post, but the seat post will slip if you use nuts on the screws. The screw for the seat post has to be a self-tightening, nut-less screw (button head allen-key) in order for it to hold, but this means I can't use longer screws.

Basically, I need some way of attaching the cycle rack arms (adjustable) to the seat post WITHOUT using the existing collar. I can't attach anything to the frame as it's carbon fibre, but the seat post is aluminium.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Genius! That should do the trick, thanks
  • or a cheap MTB rear mudgaurd - the sort which clamps onto seatpost. That should do you a suitable bracket (plus free bit of plastic - woohoo) and maybe more easily available?
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    so..................

would i be right in thinking that a tubus kit and one of these collars will allow me to stick a pannier straight onto my Spec. Allez Comp ( rear stays are wishbone shaped ) so that I can use it for lightweight touring before i buy a proper tourer ?
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The Tubus kit requires a Tubus rack (I think, a Cosmo, Logo or Cargo), but yes, it should work. What may be compromised is heel clearance, depending on the geometry of the rear triangle, the panniers used (I recommend Ortlieb Back Roller Classics) and your shoe size. It is likely to work because the QR fitting puts the rack rearward by a few cm, but there is a possibility of problems. Maybe buy from somewhere that has no quibble returns (like Wiggle). The other issue is how stable a tourer the Allez will make, some bikes will be twitchy at the front when loaded up at the rear, I have experience of a Trek 1.2 and this was surprisingly good in touring mode. Don't forget to increase your rear tyre pressure to accommodate the greater load, and if possible, get a larger section rear tyre, assuming there is clearance for one. A 700x28 might be a good choice.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The Tubus kit comes with two angled plates that move the rack back a few centimetres which should help a bit with heel clearance.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Has anyone fitted a non-tubus rack on to the Tubus QR adapter? I fail to see why it's only for Tubus racks. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Thanks
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think it's because the Tubus racks that it is compatible with have two mounting holes at the lower fitting, so the QR bracket bolts on to this and won't "go south". Almost all other racks have a single mounting hole, so they could sink down when loaded, however, firm bolting and firm application of the QR may prevent this and it may in fact work. I have the Tubus QR and a Tubus Cosmo and it works perfectly, I also have a Tortec rack, but I have never tried it with the QR, I guess I should, to answer your question, but I have just got my bike fettled for next weeks tour . . . sorry :cry: