Strange dissapointments

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
I have just heard a big helicopter fly over my house, very noisy and sounded very low. Got up to have a look and could not see it, must have gone over the house. I am suddenly upset that I didn't see it. Is that strange?

I still point at planes aswell, my wife hates me for that :wink:

Comments

• +1

As the famous line goes in the film The Krays
    " They're born boys and they stay boys for the rest of their f**king lifes"

Women just don't understand the big plane/ helicopter/boat/train/shiney new bike thingy
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Spitfire flew overhead during yeterdays ride, all three of us were reduced to open mouthed wonder and lots of "ooooooh's and aaaaarhh's"............we're all in our 40's FFS!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Robmanic1 wrote:
    Spitfire flew overhead during yeterdays ride, all three of us were reduced to open mouthed wonder and lots of "ooooooh's and aaaaarhh's"............we're all in our 40's FFS!

Its no different to women watching a pair of jimmy choo shoes walk down a cat walk. The only difference is taht a Spitfire is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cooler 8) and probably cheaper :wink:
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    I was up on (Dart)moor mountain biking a few years ago when the Red Arrows flew over in close formation, obviously traveling between two gigs (!) - very impressive and low, even if they wern't 'performing'.

+1 for the Spitfire too, always brings a tear to my eye. And the sound of that Merlin engine too - nothing quite like it... all lost on my daughter though!
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I was fishing on Rutland water the other week and a lancaster bomber with a spitfire on each wing flew over WOW!!! :o
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    They typically fly with a Spitfire (nearest) on one wing and a Hurricane on the other. They are based in Lincolnshire (RAF Coningsby). An amazing sight.

800px-Hurr_Lanc_Spit_BoB_Mem_Flight.jpg
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    dmclite wrote:
    I have just heard a big helicopter fly over my house, very noisy and sounded very low. Got up to have a look and could not see it, must have gone over the house. I am suddenly upset that I didn't see it. Is that strange?
    If that happens to me my first thought is.. bike race!!

It's just as bad if I'm outside and I hear a helicopter very very faintly in the distance, as that just reminds me of afternoons sitting in the sun on Alpe d'Huez (or somewhere) and that electric moment when you realise the riders are finally on the hill.

Too many trips to the Tour etc....
  • A bloke in a SEPECAT Jaguar scared my shitless over the Moors once.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    The local morons often set the hills on fire around here and they use helicoptors with buckets of water underneath to douse the flames. I ALWAYS get on the roof to watch them!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    We are pretty much under the flight path for Buckingham Palace :shock: . Whatever flies over Buckingham Palace during HRH's Birthdays usually flies over us about 3 mins later. So its Lancasters, Spitfires and Hurricanes every year. Last year (or maybe the year before) the house was pretty much trying to resonate itself apart. Ran out to the back garden to see 3 Typhoons (Eurofighters) cruising overhead 8) .
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    edited July 2009
    Few weeks back I was in the garden fettling when I heard an enormous roar, ignores it for a bit because we often get jet fighters approaching the nearby bombing range, but it grew louder and louder, so I looked up and saw one of these eurofighter jobbies "going vertical" as they say on Top-gun. I genuinly thought it was in trouble and, as it was a few thousand feet above my house, was panicking a little. Then saw another chasing it, they were dogfighting over land, which I've never seen before, I assumed this kind of excercise was only allowed over unpopulated areas or open water. Scared the cr@p out of me for a minute or two, thought we were under attack!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Last week I was near the top of Hellvellyn (ascent from Patterdale, ramble-fans) when I heard the unmistakable sound of a fighter jet. I really, really thought the sound was coming from below me and it's always a buzz to say "Wow, look at that plane down there". But it wasn't - it was about eight miles high (or summat...). Felt gutted.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    On a slightly different tack, i was on swanage beach last year with my family and the Red Arrows did a show right over the bay. I have never felt so British. My wife liked it as the pilots then came on the beach to say hello, but i reckon they were blokes dressed up like the pilots collecting for charity, any light on this?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    dmclite wrote:
    If that happens to me my first thought is.. bike race!!

It's just as bad if I'm outside and I hear a helicopter very very faintly in the distance, as that just reminds me of afternoons sitting in the sun on Alpe d'Huez (or somewhere) and that electric moment when you realise the riders are finally on the hill.

Too many trips to the Tour etc....

OOh that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck! The Tour helicopter arriving. I tell you, you can keep that scene from Apocalypse Now.

except, hmmmmmm, maybe the Tour organisers should play the Ride of the Valkyries full blast from the chopper as the race approaches. that would be so cooooool! N'est-ce pas?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    The local morons often set the hills on fire around here and they use helicoptors with buckets of water underneath to douse the flames. I ALWAYS get on the roof to watch them!

Reminds me of Majorca a few years ago when the National Park caught/set on fire and a flying boat came down into Alcudia Bay skimmed the surface to pick-up water and lifted-off again - great stuff!

On The Red Arrows - if you ever get the chance to see them at Dartmouth Regatta (end of August) do, cos they fly right down the river. The Jawbones is a good place to watch - the traffic is horrendous however.
  • On the way to Edinburgh for a rugby league weekend in may had just left the motorway and was driving to wards Edinburgh along a small valleyish type bit of scenery when in the distance I saw a tornado. Initially thought it was going away from me then realised it was coming straiht down the road towards me about 200ft above. The missus was asleep as I was shaking her shouting look look all excitedly. She woke up just as it looked like it was going to hit us, an virtuallty crapped her pants as it tuned over on its wing and roared over us. It was just the best thing ever though she wasn't happy at all LOL!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    +1

As the famous line goes in the film The Krays
    " They're born boys and they stay boys for the rest of their f**king lifes"

Women just don't understand the big plane/ helicopter/boat/train/shiney new bike thingy

Oh I bed to differ. I still get well excited when it comes to aircraft (former Air Cadet me, didn't get into the RAF though because of my eyesight :cry: )

I get slightly excited by boats and ships these days, but then that's because the chap is enthuastic for them

In fact next week I am off to RNAS Culdrose for the Air Day. I'll be like a kid in a candy store poking around all those planes, :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    yogi wrote:

Reminds me of Majorca a few years ago when the National Park caught/set on fire and a flying boat came down into Alcudia Bay skimmed the surface to pick-up water and lifted-off again - great stuff!

On The Red Arrows - if you ever get the chance to see them at Dartmouth Regatta (end of August) do, cos they fly right down the river. The Jawbones is a good place to watch - the traffic is horrendous however.

I have a better vantage point for the Red Arrows in Dartmouth this year :D
    Would never go normally because it's a hellish place to be around at Regatta time but I have VIP seats :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • "I am suddenly upset that I didn't see it. Is that strange?"

If you have since found that you are blind, then no.

If you have since gained a fettish for helicopters, then no.

If you find that you are suddenly upset about not seeing other things over your house such as Dover, then no.

I would say the evidence points to the fact that your upset in this matter is not strange.
    Tippex, what an erection, go and close the window.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    alfablue wrote:
    They typically fly with a Spitfire (nearest) on one wing and a Hurricane on the other. They are based in Lincolnshire (RAF Coningsby). An amazing sight.

800px-Hurr_Lanc_Spit_BoB_Mem_Flight.jpg

Those big old bombers sound amazing! I watched the fly by for the Queen's Golden Jubilee and the enormous, throaty rumble is awe inspiring, more so than modern jet fighters and bombers
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.