where to go on a cycling holiday?

explosifpete
explosifpete Posts: 1,327
I want to take my girlfriend on a cycling holiday but i'm not sure where to go.
I want to have a base to stay at and head out each day rather that touring.
I was thinking about the alps as after 5 ski seasons I really want to see it in summer but i'm thinking that it may be a little hard and might be a better idea next year after some hill trainning (we live in essex after all ).
I have be thinking about the peak district but wouldn't mind going to europe really as it feels more like a holiday then and I hear the riding is really good.
And I would prefer to keep it to under a 5 hour drive
So any ideas?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I went on a supported / self guided tour to Tuscany in April. The advantages of this type of tour is that you do get to stay somewhere different each night (hotels are part of the package), and you don't need to carry any luggage on your bike, it is delivered to each hotel for you. You can take your own bike or hire the tour operators bikes (not very inspiring hybrids). I would prefer to see something new each day, and you get to see more of the area you go to. The daily mileage was between 30 and 45 miles, and whilst there were some long hills (7k) they were never too steep. I went with my g/f who had only been cycling for 8 months at the time. She rode a Trek 1.2 triple and I fitted a larger cassette and she coped with the hills. Whilst there is a group of people on the tour you ride on your own (unless you choose to do otherwise). We found we tended to leave later and arrive earlier than the others. There are route instructions and maps, though there were small stickers with arrows on lamposts and other bits of street furniture throughout the routes, so no getting lost.

We did this tour. We saw Pisa, Florence, Sienna, San Gimignano, Casciana Terme, Lucca, Vinci, and Montecatini Terme. Some amazing towns and cities. We stayed on in Florence for 2 extra days at the end.

The roads were fantastic for cycling, the routes used very quiet roads. All the hotels had good cycle storage facilities and were all very welcoming.

We flew Easyjet to Pisa from Bristol. Including bikes the fare was around £100 each. From Pisa the train to our start point was easy (they are a lot more accepting of bikes and cyclists there!). Bikes were packed in CTC "plastic bags" and were handled with great respect at both ends.

We booked through Hooked on Cycling, they do holidays all over Europe and the UK and some further afield.

They also do cycling resort holidays, where you have one base and go for day rides if you prefer.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    I want to take my girlfriend on a cycling holiday but i'm not sure where to go.
    I was thinking about the alps as after 5 ski seasons I really want to see it in summer but i'm thinking that it may be a little hard and might be a better idea next year after some hill trainning (we live in essex after all ).
    I have be thinking about the peak district but wouldn't mind going to europe really as it feels more like a holiday then and I hear the riding is really good.
    So any ideas?

Having been in exactly the same boat myself, and having just returned from a stay here, I can't recommend it highly enough:

www.veloventoux.com

The cycling around this area of Provence is varied and beautiful, the weather is glorious, and we were looked after brilliantly. Having 'enjoyed' a first club run back in the cold and rain yesterday, I'd return at the drop of a hat if the bank balance would let me.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I rode in Provence a few years ago and can recommend it highly.

If you are both cyclists how about Lake Annecy in the Alps? A wonderful 36km (flatish) cycle path stretchiing in to the heart of the Alps, more cols than you can shake a stick at (of varying difficulty) and you can always try to TT round the lake (in the evenings when the traffic is quieter). Don't be too put off by riding in the mountains; the roads are generally very good and the gradients less steep than I'm used too in the Pennines.

Derbyshire I live near. There's plenty to do, but the weather is the issue...
  • explosifpete
    explosifpete Posts: 1,327
    I've been looking at Longnor for this coming weekend so I should get a better idea what we can handle.
    I'm liking these ideas, keep them coming
  • I want to take my girlfriend on a cycling holiday but i'm not sure where to go.
    So any ideas?

Dumfries and Galloway has some fantastic lanes cycling Not too flat and not too hilly. There are some fantastic B&b,s and lots of places to visit whilst on the ride. The coastline is fantastic too especially round Wigtown and Whithorn.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    It might not be a '5 hour drive' but we did a week island hopping in greece, different taverna practically every night, followed by a week centre based.

this was mtb orientated though. but we did only 5% or less on rough ground.

Lots of these type of holidays around.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • I want to take my girlfriend on a cycling holiday but i'm not sure where to go.
    So any ideas?

Dumfries and Galloway has some fantastic lanes cycling Not too flat and not too hilly. There are some fantastic B&b,s and lots of places to visit whilst on the ride. The coastline is fantastic too especially round Wigtown and Whithorn.

Hi, If your girlfriend isn't a keen cyclist then Dumfries and Galloway is a fantastic place to go, the scenery is fantastic and the views from the coast and the hills are super.
    Shropshire is also a great cycling county, especially round the Bishops Cstle area. I don't want to sound boring with all the news of staycations, but you shoild make a special effort to go on holiday in this country this year, especially if you;re like me. The first in the queue at thompsons when the new holiday brochures are out. My wife and I had a great cycling holiday last year in this country. Guess where we went. D&G.

TSC
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    http://www.gastrobiking.com/

Here. They're great. Phil is a great guide too.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter