2009 Brevet de Randonneur des Alpes video: Marmotte's cousin

http://www.vimeo.com/5674310

I rode the 2009 Brevet de Randonneur des Alpes yesterday in the French Alps. It's a 225km event that starts and finishes in Vizille, near Grenoble, and it's held every two years. There is the choice to ride the route on one day, or a more leisurly two days. The route climbs from 300 metres in altitude to the 2,646 metre Col du Galibier, before the 1,566 metre Col du Telegraphe, 1638 metre Col du Mollard and the 2067 metre Col de la Croix de Fer. In total, 4,650 metres of climbing.

It's not a race, there is no classification and the goal is to finish. The guys at the front do race it but the majority are enjoying the day and cycling with friends.

It was cold on the Galibier and there was fresh snow next to the road from the day before - the people who rode over Galibier on the Saturday had temperatures below freezing and were stuck in a blizzard and had to use the tunnel. The day warmed up on the constant hairpins of the Col du Mollard before the heat and summer views on the Croix de Fer. The feed stops were the best I've ever seen in a cycling event - pizza, quiche, fruit and a variety of drinks.

I took about 10 hours and 15 minutes, a little longer than in 2007, but I took the time to enjoy the feed stops a little more and to ride with some of my club. I'd really recommend this in 2011 if you're in the area. I did see one chap with an Ilford cycling jersey, but unlike the Marmotte, this was a French event. Be good to see some more Brits next time.

Cheers, Russell
www.grenoblecycling.com

Comments