riding and mp3/iPod

fedrat
fedrat Posts: 22
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Does anyone here listen to their mp3/iPod whilst out riding solo, or is it a big no-no?
Giant ATX 830

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I do, I just have it at a level that lets me still hear whats going on around me.
  • I do too, only use one headphone though and not too loud, depends on when you go out I suppose as well and where you're going.
    Chris Borrowdale - Freelance Web & Graphic Designer
    http://www.chrisborrowdale.co.uk
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    i don't really. i like truly being in my environment, and after rachel atherton's acdc-listening-while-riding-headlong-into-a-4x4 experience i'll stick to not listening i reckon. If someone that good can come a cropper then someone of my limited skills would be road pancake.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    edited July 2009
    Never ever listen to music, i need my wits about me on my local trails, too many idiots about.

Besides i use custom earphones so i wouldn't hear a thing if i did.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nope, spoils the ride for me, and you need to listen for others, especially shouting warnings.
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Nah not really, sometimes i will if im in the mood but 80% of the time nope, when im out in the countryside its nice to just listen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fedrat wrote:
    Does anyone here listen to their mp3/iPod whilst out riding solo, or is it a big no-no?
    I've just started doing this recently, on boring rides. Long story short, I have to do plenty of gentle rides to help rehabilitate my knee.
    But they're boring.
    So I got my mp3 player out, and tis much better. It's actually quite pleasant to get some nice summery tunes on whilst riding along the coastal paths.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    No, I want to hear whats going on around me.

Plus the earphones will fall out and annoy me
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    I've bought a little ebay el' cheapo mp3 player specifically for this, i'm trying to get a few miles in to help with the fitness so i find it helps. My riding buddy is working overseas for the summer so when he's back i'll not bother with it as we natter about crap on the slow climbs etc.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Where I ride you don't come across many other cyclists, so on a solo ride I will tend to listen to music, plus it helps prevent the "brain-pod" playing whatever it feels like (can be quite annoying when you've got "I've got a brand-new combine-harvester" going round your head!)

Also pretty good for running, otherwise all you can hear is your heavy breathing and the sound of your heart trying to pump blood out of your ears.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Nooooooooooo Robmanic1
    you've inserted another stupid tune into my brain pod now, i just know when i am out riding this week its just going to pop into my head now and keep going round :lol:
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Saw a goon on a bmx riding no handed with a pod on,the other evening :shock:
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    I use mine all the time, Cant beat a bit of tuneage to keep the pedals turning 8)
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I never listen to my iPod on the road, if I'm riding a trail that I'm unfamiliar with, or if I'm riding with someone else. On my regular trail it's all good though.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    birchy wrote:
    Nooooooooooo Robmanic1
    you've inserted another stupid tune into my brain pod now, i just know when i am out riding this week its just going to pop into my head now and keep going round :lol:

I like to share the misery birchy :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Anonymous
    yeah sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depends on the mood. I wouldn't say it's a no no afterall you've just got to be aware of things around you.. eg dont swerve all over the place if someone better than you needs to get past etc....

sometimes I ride with one ear in... sometimes both cranked upto 11 with slayer or deLaSoul playing. music gives me and edge sometimes, I find the loud angry music can boost those thoughts or just beat that hill..

have fun man that's what it's all about. the big smile on the face no matter what.
  • A_Keay
    A_Keay Posts: 4
    I always toy with the idea of having mp3 player while riding but i never do it, i just like to be fully aware of what is around me i suppose !
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    No place for 'tunes' on a MTB ride. The crunch and crackle of the tyres is music enough.
  • Anonymous
    .blitz wrote:
    No place for 'tunes' on a MTB ride. The crunch and crackle of the tyres is music enough.

you should try aphex twin's earlier stuff on Warp records... kinda similar..;)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    GmanUK101 wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    you should try aphex twin's earlier stuff on Warp records... kinda similar..;)
    :lol: