GT, how strong ?

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Can a GT avalanche 1.0 take a bashing and jumps ? it has a light Aluminum frame but is it strong enough ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    it is not a jump bike - so if you stack it, beware. That siad it is a tougher XC trail machine.
  • jondi
    jondi Posts: 152
    yeh, using for xc, just curious on what it could take.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    pretty tough bit of kit, as ss said it aint a jump bike so dont go crazzy, but it will take some proper trail hamerin, with the odd jump and drop, just remember to land smoothly.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • My GT Avalanche took a 5/6ft drop quite well.

That said, I didn't take the jump well and ended up with plenty of stitches and a scar above my right eye. The bike however did quite well out of it all. The frame is in perfect condition still with no dents or obvious damage. The front wheel did buckle quite badly though and I snapped my rim but thats been replaced now. :P
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    I have a 2006 Avalanche 1.0 disc 2006.

It does seem very well made but have not given it too much in the way of air. I am about to stick a new set of Revelation 426 Air U-Turn's on it so hopefully it will be able to take a bit more abuse in the near future :twisted:
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    A friend of mine has an Aggressor XC 3 (halfords version of the Avalanche) and he's been doing the same jumps me and a couple of other friends do on our full suspention bikes (reasonably large double jumps etc).

He's not had any issues other than the landings being a bit rough on his legs.

The XC 3 is the cheapest version of it but he's using my old 130mm RockShox Recon air shocks rather than the Suntours that came with the bike.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2