Lidl bike...

NandoRedondo
NandoRedondo Posts: 2
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Lidl are offering a bike for 899 euro/700 quid sterling - Stratos Ultegra Shimano.As a novice it means nothing to me, but some independent website said the bike was worth at least 1500 quid sterling.Dunno would I feel comfortable buying a bike from a supermarket with no expertise to re-assure me.It has aluminium frame..I'm thihking that or the Boardman Team Carbon for 1225 euro approx..any advice ?

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Do a search, there have been threads on the Lidl bike. It wouldn't be worth £1500 but for £700 it's not a bad deal, though the choice of sizes is very limited and you can't change the spec obviously.

For around £1000 to £1200 you have the choice of Boardman, Focus, Ribble, or Planet-X who all do full carbon builds with decent spec. I would definitely go for one of these over something from Lidl.

Matthew
  • But for at least 300 notes more. The bikes a steal with its spec at that price of 700 especially for a first bike.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yes it has Ultegra and that's really what you're paying for. The alu frame is probably heavy and not very good.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The groupset is well above any bike under £1k, and the rest of the kit is reasonable and better than most £700 bikes. The groupset alone is worth around £400. The frame, is of course, the unknown, but it could be a great alternative to the typical entry level Sora or Tiagra equipped bikes, and the bits could all go on a fancier frame.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    it looks like a catalogue bike with ultegra nailed on-they are trying to polish a tu-rd :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • oxford
    oxford Posts: 34
    My advice would be to wait for the post season sell offs and get something like a giant like I did! You may need to save a few extra hundreds though
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    it looks like a catalogue bike with ultegra nailed on-they are trying to polish a tu-rd :D

Agreed.