I wonder what Astana's team orders were today?

Eurostar
Eurostar Posts: 1,806
edited July 2009 in Pro race
On the rostrum Bertie looked like he'd been bottling up a lot of anger. Normally the jersey winners look happy at that point, but he looked positively savage. I was expecting him to shout THIS IS SPARTA and throw Hinault down a well. Plus he took his earpiece out during his attack. And Kloden held back in order to protect Lance. And later Bertie was just a little controversial, saying that from now on the team would have to help him.

So what do we make of all this? Do you think Bruyneel told him to stay with Lance? It seems absurd - but I can't think of any other scenario to explain what we saw.
<hr>
<h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Maybe he threw his earpiece out because he wanted to enjoy HIS moment and not have Bruyneel twittering away in the background? Should Kloden wait for Armstrong? On this showing, Kloden might well be a better bet for the GC than Armstrong?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Maybe he threw his earpiece out because he wanted to enjoy HIS moment and not have Bruyneel twittering away in the background? Should Kloden wait for Armstrong? On this showing, Kloden might well be a better bet for the GC than Armstrong?
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I think his bags might get poured away tonight
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Rtbf were saying that Kloden and Lance were on the front of the GC group whilst Contador was attacking because Andy was out front, and should anything happen to Contador, they cannot let Andy get that much time on them. Lame. IMO, Bruyneel didn't want any attacks and Contador followed his own better judgement, showing Bruyneel who the boss is. Bruyneel was getting panic attacks and was getting Lance to ride hard. Kloden was stronger than Lance but no doubt he was ordered to pull Lance who was struggling. Bad move - Kloden lost valuable seconds there.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Eurostar
    Kloden might well be a better bet for the GC than Armstrong?
    Kloden wouldn't dare upset Bruyneel or Armstrong. He's not the ambitious type - he just wants a safe future. He's 34, he's got plenty of T-Mobile ordure on him. What are his options? He has to behave.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ccording to those clowns ligget and sherwen it ws all planned!

hahaha! :lol:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Eurostar wrote:
    Bertie was just a little controversial, saying that from now on the team would have to help him.
    We'll see. Word is that tomorrow will see Armstrong make an announcement about "his" team for 2010. This team is unlikely to include Contador. Now they can win the race with Contador but if half the squad is going to join a rival outfit, many will take the orders from their paymaster.

Contador needs a team, we saw in Paris-Nice how too much work and no support got to him.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345

Course it was. Larnce is looking after his team mates as is usual in the sport of professional bike racing. but it seems Contador is the new St Bernard of the climbers.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Since Lance is so fond of commenting on other teams' tactics, I'd quite like to hear Vaughters comment on Astana having Kloeden setting the pace on the front as Bertie danced off up the road....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405

I was forced to watch an hour of ITV commentary before I escaped back to Eurosport. S&L are dreadful and so biased! As I've said before I can't bear the Lancelovefest. And I happened to catch the highlights one night last week and Bob Roll was waffling about not making enemies of The Twit. Grow up, do!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    I think that the plan was probably to see who was strongest on the day. Kloden was probably assigned to look after Lance but got miffed and dropped him at the end. It reminded me of the year Ullrich followed Kloden up the climbs.

I just hope that Astana play it fair and don't now attack their Solo Leader.
  • Eurostar
    Kléber wrote:
    We'll see. Word is that tomorrow will see Armstrong make an announcement about "his" team for 2010.

Where did you hear that! :shock: :shock:
    <hr>