Wiggo

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Well done what a ride!

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    +1 Amazing, was fantastic to see him stretch his legs and have a go off the front.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    edited July 2009
    +1 Wiggins has been a revalation! I thought (prior to the start) that he'd do a bit in the TT, then slip away into the pack. His climbing has been fantastic! :D

Will he now "play it safe" to preserve his 3rd place, or do you think he'll have another go, if he feels he's got the legs?
    Cycling weakly
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    He's looking great. Would be brilliant to see him on the podium.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He's not a shot at 2nd place even.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Pokerface wrote:
    He's not a shot at 2nd place even.

Did you mean got there
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    If he can more or less hold position/time for next couple days in mountains, then he can take some more time in Thurs TT. I reckon podium finish is well within his grasp! Poss even second as I think he can take time time out of LA on Thurs.

Go Brad!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • I think he's riding this year's tour as "development" for next year. The Sky's the limit!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    The sad thing is that in a couple of other forums I frequent, which are far more popular with people from central Europe, all the talk is about how Bradley must be doping. Depsite people saying how he has lost weight, is training properly and always had the pedigree, they simply won't believe it. I guess that is how cycling has gone these days - no results are trusted.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Europe would hate a brit to ever win the tour, probably more than they hate it when a yank wins. :roll:
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I know owuldn't it be great.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    squired wrote:
    The sad thing is that in a couple of other forums I frequent, which are far more popular with people from central Europe, all the talk is about how Bradley must be doping. Depsite people saying how he has lost weight, is training properly and always had the pedigree, they simply won't believe it. I guess that is how cycling has gone these days - no results are trusted.

atleast he looks like he has actually lost weight rather than certain riders who pretend to have lost weight to cover up a 20% increase in sustainable power
  • Homer J wrote:
    Europe would hate a brit to ever win the tour, probably more than they hate it when a yank wins.
    I think you are probably just looking in the mirror of your own anti-European xenophobia...
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Homer J wrote:
    Europe would hate a brit to ever win the tour, probably more than they hate it when a yank wins. :roll:

You couldn't get it more wrong. Tommy Simpson has more fans in France than he does here.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    Yeah, all credit to wiggo but i find it (as does former doper David Millar) rather surprising how wiggs has discovered he has real climbing legs!! What about his punching the van incident when he finished at andorra? Hmmm, smacks of Floyd Landis leaping from his bike after his climbing escapades!!!! Too good to be true Bradders!
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Bradley is SERIOUS - could skip Olympics 2012 - thinks he can do well in TDF - I agree - he can!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... ccess.html
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Awesome ride, awesome ES interview.
    A combination of fatigue and disbelief in his achievements, thus far.
    One day at a time....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    It was amazing to see him having some digs on the climb instead of just wheelsucking, immediately distancing the Big Ego. Presumably this is all new territory for him, he'll be learning all of the time, and looks good for future years.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    squired wrote:

Well you can understand their cynicism when so many recent central European riders have been unmasked as charlatans. It's the flip side of national/regional pride. :D

It was even worse in the Biathlon forums last winter when the Russian skiers were caught for pre-season training on CERA. Say anything unsupportive and dozens of Russians would flame the threads with accusations about non-Russian athletes.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    edited July 2009
    well done that man another top ride
    cheesy quaver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggins is excellent, has the right attitude, poise and talent of a winner. completely the opposite of a certain manxman sprinter..... :shock:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Loved his interview afterwards... the excitement he's portraying is fantastic... Wiggo rules!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    Yes, great interview on ITV. It's good to catch the responses when they are still high on the adrenaline of crossing the line. Better than waiting until the start next day when they've had a night to work out some more considered responses anyway.

Liked his comment about having the beer after the TT, he's obviously got that stage marked as his own.
  • Anonymous
    It's really exciting being 'around' at the moment...

I know what I mean anyway.
  • andyxm
    andyxm Posts: 132
    Excellent ride, great to see him attack and go away from LA, I reckon he could definitely make the podium, his main challenge is probably Andy Schlek who will presumable take more time out of him on Ventoux
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Oooooooh I so want him to podium! What a historic event it will be if he does. He's a real wild card. No-one seems to have expected such great things from the man, so he's caught them all napping!! Hurrah for Wiggo!
  • dmclite wrote:
    Wiggins is excellent, has the right attitude, poise and talent of a winner. completely the opposite of a certain manxman sprinter..... :shock:
    who hasn't won a thing all year right?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    The man is posessed at the moment and stands a great chance of a podium finish. If he carries on riding like he did today then you have to think he'll pass Armstrong and with his time trialling he should be able to put some time into Schleck, Sastre et al. Looking very good indeed. Providing he doesn't blow up on Ventoux this could be an incredible result for Wiggins.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wish him well. Let's all just enjoy the moment, regardless of what he does in the coming stages it is all very exciting.
  • fyak1
    fyak1 Posts: 32
    Not sure about his attitude in the post race interview on ES. Ok, journalists ask incredibly banal and obvious questions (so Bradley you rode a bicycle today, up a hill?), and it's great to show them up, but I thought he could at least have showed some little bit of pleasure in his achievement so far.
    Came over like he was embarrassed by his situation and covering it with a quite forced 'who cares' facade.
    Why?
    -Orbea Orca
    -Orbea Zeus carbon cranks/seatpost/stem & bars
    -Dura-Ace
    -Ksyrium SSC SL\'s
    -Aliante carbon saddle
  • Anonymous
    Probably because he's a mixture of buzzing his t*ts off and absolutely farked!