New bike

martinrigby
martinrigby Posts: 17
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

ive just bought a new bike off a website (je james) . when it came one the cables was crushed and frayed , anyway to cut a long story short i took the bike to my local shop to get it fixed and whilst i was there the tech guy said i should get it serviced before i use it .

Is this a good idea or is he just tryin to fleece me ?????

thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take it back to JE James and get them to sort it.

New bikes do bed in and often need a period of readjustment. Good skills to learn!
  • As you've ordered it, I guess taking it back may be hard. Bill JE James for petrol to bring it back and demand a free check at 6-8 weeks at which point they'll check things, adjust gears etc as it all beds in as you use it. A whole service is a rip off, perhaps make JE James agree to pay your lbs to fix the problems and do said check? I dunno if they would but don't lie down to them.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    JE James aren't obliged to pay - it is upto the customer to return for any free servicing and checks.

Mechanical faults and awarranty is a different matter though.

It would be worth phoning them though.
  • JE James have agrred to pay for the repairs thats been sorted just wondered about the service .

I might just take it to the local bike shop for adjustment and checks after 6 weeks or so just to be on the safe side , then i'll start learning to do things my self.