Cleaning the chain

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey folks...

Quick question before I go on holiday. I have noticed when I am pedalling there is a bit of a creaking sound. As it doesn't happen when I'm not pedalling I can only assume it's either the crank, chain or mech (Am I missing any other possibilities?). I'm thinking it could be I'm needing to lube it up again so the qestion is what is the best degreaser to use and then best lube?
I'm gonna be itching to get back to this come next Wed when I'm back so any advice would be appreciated :D
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... bike-18259

might help as some of the topics in the FAqs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I clean the chain on my bike with Mucoff chain cleaner and then rinse off with water / baby wipe! Then dry off with an old rag and re-lube with FinishLine.
    Seems to make the chain last a good while before it needs replacing.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Wheres the creak coming from? Can you tell what part of the drive chain it is, because from experience, i've only ever known the BB to creak (needed new bearings).

But a good chain degrease/relube will make your chain feel like new :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i had this and was really woried that i would need a new BB, but i eventualy found out that the pedals had been installed without grease. 10 mins later, having reinstsalled them with greased threads no more creacking! also try the saddle, if its not tight enough, or hasent been properly instaled with a tiny smear of grease it can creak as you peddel when seated.
    I like bikes and stuff