newbie doing up and old boy help

chopper_2_2
chopper_2_2 Posts: 5
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys new to the forum and whole mtb scene. I've ridden bits a bats of bmx mountainbike stuff all my life.
But my main query today is that I've been given an old Marin hardtail bike by a mate as i've been without a pushy for too long. I think its possibly a mid nineties job. Its not in bad condition really after i gave it a bit of a clean.
Frame is 21'' approx but not sure
forks Marzocchi xcr
shimano cantilever breaks
shimano daore or something gear system

My question is really, is it possible to do it up a bit, mainly for a little bit of a personal project and learning expeience but also to ride on some trails for fitness training as i ride a bit of motocross in my spare time etc.

the forks look pretty old but by all accounts that particular brand are pretty decent so dunno would these forks just need a bit of tlc and a service or would it be easier or possible to buy some decent 2nd hand (is ebay any good)/ or new ones that won't cost the earth. because eventually i hope to buy a brand spanker but for now i just wanna have a bit of fun fixing this one up and learning how to do all the various things on a mtb.(i've even bought a book and everything haha)

The wheels are sound and ive got new inners/tyres, seat n grips for it so i'm mainly refering to the suspenssion really and possibly tiding up the frame rust (maybe a sand down and repaint if possible). I'm allready on with sorting the breaks out but any advice u feel i could do with on this is very welcome

any help greatly appreciated guys

cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like it needs a good service - but without knowing the exact mode and year of it and parts I can't really give you any specific advice. Any pics?

I'd replace all cables as standard, and check out the headset and hub bearings.
  • oh yeah theres no question a good service is in order but like i say it was given to me by a friend so i don't have any specs for it. I've already replaced the cables and that coz they were a bit knacked.

Its just something to keep me occupied thru the summer, i'll try to get some pics of it up to help out with getting advice but be warned its not exactly pretty lol.

cheers
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Go for it. I resurrected my rigid frame mountain bike (yours is probably better spec than mine) this summer and i've been out on it every other day now. really enjoying get back into MTB'ing although I tend to do cross country stuff.

Mine has got cantilever brakes as well and if the blocks are old I'd recommend you change them for new as they harden with age and aren't as effective.

Lets see some pics of the steed fella

Rockingdad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • cheers mate thats the kind of encouragement i'm after haha.
    in short it might be a bit of a mess at the min but i have visions of this imaculate looking thing that i can sit back n look at and think, i did all that. prob a bit ambitious but i fancy having a crack all the same coz ive really been bitten by the bug. I'm gonna try and get ar lass' digi camera this week and get some of the 'before' shots so you can see what i'm up against and so the brain trust on here can give me pointers and guidence etc.

really liking the board tho, so much help thus far from reading other posts, nice to have ppl genuinly interested in helping out. so used to alot of motocross forums plain taking the pizzle if your knowlage isn't A+!!

cheers again
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    cheers mate thats the kind of encouragement i'm after haha.
    in short it might be a bit of a mess at the min but i have visions of this imaculate looking thing that i can sit back n look at and think, i did all that. prob a bit ambitious but i fancy having a crack all the same coz ive really been bitten by the bug. I'm gonna try and get ar lass' digi camera this week and get some of the 'before' shots so you can see what i'm up against and so the brain trust on here can give me pointers and guidence etc.

really liking the board tho, so much help thus far from reading other posts, nice to have ppl genuinly interested in helping out. so used to alot of motocross forums plain taking the pizzle if your knowlage isn't A+!!

cheers again

Yeah definately... I didn't take any before photos and you never remember to do that until your standing back admiring your handiwork.... come to think of it I don't think i've got any after shots either!
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe