I'm a newb, go easy on me!

Mad-Mike
Mad-Mike Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi people, I'm a complete newbie to the site, go easy on me! As me name suggests I'm called Mike, and I have just bought myself a Focus Black Forest Expert - and I have the bloodied hands to show I am no expert! On the first day I went over the handlebars just by pressing the brakes too hard... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I have been biking around the lanes of North Devon for a few years but only started getting into it and biking for fun about a year ago, and with my new bike I have been out as good as every day! Sore ass though... :D
Mike

Comments

• Welcome! You'll find them a good bunch here. i've been here a couple of months and it's been most helpful and interesting. Been over the handlebars a couple of times myself as have most people.

Anyway, welcome, and your bum gets used to it after a week or two. Well mine did anyway.
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 339
    Welcome mike, i'm another thats been over the handle bars on my first trip to brechfa,only had the bike a month and resulted in broken wrist and ribs.was good fun though.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Welcome. I had a fly over handlebars once. Broke my arm and had to wear a cast from shoulder to my fingers...And i broke it in July! Had a lovely summer...Anyway, welcome, hope you will find answers to all your questions :)
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Hi. About going over handlebars, so it won't happen again do this:

Don't press the brake too hard whan you're sitting on the bike.
    When you're planing of hitting the front brake hard, stand up and move your ass
    behind the saddle, the more you press the brake the more you lean backwards.
    And never press the brake when you're in front of the saddle. Then it only needs
    a bit of pressure and off you go.
  • Mad-Mike
    Mad-Mike Posts: 3
    Thanks for the welcome and advice chaps, luckily it was a slow tumble nad only resulted in blooded hands!
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    i stupidly listened to the work cycle nutter here and took a ride out to slaidburn for my first trail experience. it was a learning experience anyway, involving an over the bar flight long enough for there to be hostesses serving coffee. thank god for gloves and helmet!

welcome. it's the most informative, encouraging place i've found about bikes ont' net.
  • dave1294
    dave1294 Posts: 46
    Usually a good idea while learning to get some protective gear to make landings a little easier on yourself. Good luck :)