Which top rider have Sky rejected?

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Half listening to ITV4's evening round up, and they had a mini interview with Dave Brailsford, who mentioned that they had been about to sign a top rider until they saw his blood values. They dropped him like a hot brick and the rider was none too happy, but Brailsford was proud that this demonstrated their strong anti doping stance.

I know it'll be little more than gossip, but as today's events are a true bitch fest anyway (and I do so enjoy a good gossip), may I ask the learned posters here-

Who was that rider? Any guesses?

Comments

• Armstrong? :wink:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    A phantom one made up for PR purposes?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There were some stupid names linked to the team.

But what will Brailsford do when the same rider he drops like a brick ends up on another team? What does this say about the other team?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Brailsford is implying that this rider takes stuff and the stats to support his view are in the public domain, so more importantly why is this guy still riding?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    phreak wrote:
    Brailsford is implying that this rider takes stuff and the stats to support his view are in the public domain, so more importantly why is this guy still riding?

this answer is likely found in the original post, the words 'top rider' come to mind
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Danilo Di Luca?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    old story this I think - pretty sure Cycling Weekly carried this a few weeks back.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dekker?

There was some talk a while ago about them being interested in L'Hotellerie, but I doubt you could describe him as a top rider.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    The only rider i know of them being linked to is Kreuziger, but he doesn't have history does he...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Di Luca rings a bell.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    definitely not DiLuca - they've made it plain that they wouldn't consider any rider with any previous doping links and DDL has oil for drugs on his CV.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    definitely not DiLuca - they've made it plain that they wouldn't consider any rider with any previous doping links and DDL has oil for drugs on his CV.

But it was reported that Sunderland was talking to him. There were a few WTF names floating about

Surely if someones blood values were that suspect the magic passport would've picked it up?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Were the dodgy readings from a Team SKY test or from the blood passport? If teams are interested in a rider then they can see the rider's blood passport readings. There must be a few stages in between having 'normal' readings and having readings that are far enough off the scale to displine someone.

Lets say that 'normal' variation of a parameter is 1%. However, due to scientific uncertainties and to make the legal case watertight, the level for discpline can only be set at, say, 4%. In this instance, someone whose values vary 3% is very likely to be blood doping but they cant form a case. All they can do is keep on testing to try and get a better picture and also try to target test if they can work out when someone is likely to show a bigger variation (ie straight after they take something).