Pedal help/advice

villan
villan Posts: 29
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
I want to replace the cheapie pedals that came with my bike but am confused about which ones to get to replace them with.

I did have some clipless ones that I tried that were very similar to Shimano M520s but although I loved the extra power you get out of the pedals I was always a bit dubious about having to quick release them. I don't do any technical stuff and do like riding canal paths and it was always in the back of mind that I'd either end up in the stingers or the water if I met someone coming around the corner quick!!

The other problem then of course, is they're not the most practical to just jump on the bike and pop down the local shop.

So I put the ol' cheapies back on :roll:

I've been looking at a few options, all Shimano.
The single sided M324 to give me the best of both SPD and flat or the M424/M545. I'm hedging towards the M424s (mainly due to budget constraints) but I'm not sure how they are when using normal shoes.

I've considered upgrading to better quality flats but I do like SPDs so I've crossed these off the list.

Any advice will be gratefully received :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    using the The single sided M324 will actually give you the worst of both as you will never get the side you want.

just get some double side SPDs and set the tension low and pratice leaning against a wall.

Oh get the multi release cleats.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Hi, I use the m647's similar to the 424's. They're really good with spd shoes but not all that with regular shoes/trainers on, you really feel the mechanism under your foot. Ok for popping to the shops though.