Cav disqualified

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited July 2009 in Pro race
........for blocking Thor.

Which he appears to have done.

GET OVER HERE YOUNG MAN AND BEND OVER MY KNEE (AGAIN) WHILST I GIVE YOU A SOUND SPANKING.

I assume that Stapleton is doing this as I type.

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    He didn't really block IMO, drifted over a bit but part of the issue was the way the barriers curved in near the line. It looked dodgy though because he kept looking over but I'm guessing he was trying to go as slow as possible but still win the bunch sprint (as it was down to seconds as to whether Hincapie would take yellow) so not your usual head down balls-out sprint
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    I got the idea that maybe Columbia were trying to block Hushovd in and try to go slowly meaning that other people could finish ahead of Hushovd as well?
  • crazy really- Hincapie won't win but Cav might take green, stop mucking about and just sprint.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    sorry everyone, I started this thread without realising that it was already being discussed in erudite detail in the Stage 12 thread.

Have looked again at the video, and I'm less sure. The DQ is too harsh, IMO, but I think that it was the fact that Cav glanced over his left shoulder that did it for the commisaire. (?sp)

Cav's probably tearing the team hotel apart right now, (and who can blame him) but all it can do is motivate him even more than he already was. Logically, it may appear that he's just lost the green jersey, but I now think he'll win it. And I wasn't so sure of that yesterday.

One point that immediately came to my mind and I've not seen anyone else mention, is Bennati's behaviour. He moved over to let a baby Cav NOT be trapped into the barriers, and Cav won the sprint. Afterwards, Cav made of point of congratulating Bennati for his superb behaviour.

(sudden thought- it was Bennati, wasn't it? Last year's Giro? Don't have time to check just now)
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Looked like Cavendish kept his line and the road narrowed to me.
    Mañana
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Cock up all the way around for Columbia today - Cav in the sprint and George Hincapie giving up on yellow and looking for the stage win. If only he'd forgot about the others and just given it 100% to get to the line asap; who decided the tactic - him or the DS? No point blaming Garmin - making them scapegoats won't fool anyone.
    T Farr
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Cock up all the way around for Columbia today - Cav in the sprint and George Hincapie giving up on yellow and looking for the stage win. If only he'd forgot about the others and just given it 100% to get to the line asap; who decided the tactic - him or the DS? No point blaming Garmin - making them scapegoats won't fool anyone.
    T Farr
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Looked like Cavendish kept his line and the road narrowed to me.

And me. An inexcusable bottleneck, so close to the finish. It's the race organisers that should have been penalised.