Road bike hire in the Alps

epr
epr Posts: 26
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am thinking about a trip to the Alps, probably next summer now, but don't fancy trying to negotiate French public transport avec my bicycle.

I was thinki ng in particular the Maurienne valley, e.g. St Jean de Maurienne, since it's on the railway and close to Galibier, Croix de Fer etc. I'm thinking of staying in one place and doing circular routes so I don't have to carry luggage with me on the ride.

Does anyone know if it is feasible to hire a relatively decent road bike in this area? I don't want anything top-of-the-range, just something with drop handlebars and skinny tyres that is suitable for tackling the big climbs.

Does anyone have experience of LBSs in this area? Or would I be better off hiring from a cycle tour company similar to these guys (near Mt Ventoux)?

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Home/t ... fault.aspx

Any recommendations very welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    was staying just outside le grave (near top of lautaret/french glaiber side in villar d'arene 3 weeks ago and the village sports shop had mtn and road hire bikes..and various other sports shops down to briancon also. only thing Id think would be a possible problem is the french hols starting in august but even then most people have their own. cant think it'd be difficult. Also just back from barconellette today - and the bike shops all had hire bikes. Nice place - 9 cols to climb in valley.- been there few times. Its famous for it and loads of people are cycling... theire tourist website (google...) has brochures with routes to download.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    You can hire road bikes at Derrier Loisirs in St. Jean de Maurienne (Gitane and Bianchi), 90 euro per week plus 300 euro returnable deposit. Contact them in advance to check they’ll have one available in your size the week you’ll be there.
    Contact the local Office de Tourisme to find out other options.

Three sports shops in Valloire also hire out bikes (Cervelo and Scott), about 30 Euro per day, although of course Valloire isn’t in the valley.